Old fireplaces - must have air vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, wonder if someone can answer this question. Been looking at some 1930's houses recently and have noticed that most have sealed up the old fireplaces in the dining rooms etc. However, with some, a small air vent has been left in the wall whereas with others there seems to be no vent. I understand the logic of having a vent but does that mean that ones where there is no vent might cause problems in years to come?Assuming that in most cases, a professional would have done the work, is there ever justification for not leaving any vent in the sealed fireplace?

Sponsored Links
If the chimney has been capped, it shouldn't need an air vent. Air vents are normally used if the chimney is open, to stop damp problems.

I see, thanks.

How do you tell if a chimmney has been capped?

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
Get on a ladder and have a look. :idea:
:LOL: :LOL: If the pot is gone and the top sealed completely-it`s capped....if it`s done with a rubber membrane it`s Dutch capped :eek:

Could someone please post a link to an image that shows what I should look for (to determine whether a chimney is or isn't capped)?

A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say... TIA

I think what the lads mean by 'capped' is that it has been filled in on the pot,ie,the pot has been usually filled with ballast and then usually a 50-75mm cement slab on top of it,the only way you'll find out is to get up and have a look and see if the top of the pot is capped over with cement.
Dunno why but i thought it that air vents/air bricks were needed after being capped,can someone confirm this. :confused:
SD Carps

yes it should if its been capped to help ventilate any build up of damp

nstreet said:
If the chimney has been capped, it shouldn't need an air vent. Air vents are normally used if the chimney is open, to stop damp problems.

Thermo said:
yes it should if its been capped to help ventilate any build up of damp

Sorry, just to clarify...

Capped chimney = no need for vent in a sealed fireplace

UNcapped chimney = DOES need a vent in a sealed fireplace

Is that right?

No!!!
Capped chimney should be vented(if its capped it obviously means its not in use),this is for some air to circulate within the chimney breast to avoid damp,we recently had to do this on a site to comply with NHBC.

SD Carps

So... basically, if I see a sealed-up fireplace in a house and it has NO vent in it, then I need to make sure the chimmney ISN'T capped.

CAPPED Chimney = MUST have vent in sealed up fireplace

Is that correct?

I think that the chimney needs air flow in it regardless. So there should be a vent (although it might not be visible - may be under floor) or the fireplace should be open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back