Old Garage Pier removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm going to being renovating a downstairs room which was originally a garage (already converted with extension over the top). The outer wall was converted to a cavity wall when the upstairs extension was done.
From what I can see they left in the original wall piers from when the garage was a garage.

I'm now trying to maximise the space in the room with the renovations. There are two piers I would like to remove, one on the internal side of the house and one to the outer side.
Neither pier has any load on it (see attached pic), I have already removed one of the top bricks to confirm.

It looks like the bricks are Teed in to the brick work behind as you would expect.
What wold be the best way to cut these bricks so it makes a flush wall but not leave holes if that makes sense?

Cheers,
MT

Sponsored Links
With a 9" grinder with a decent cutting disc, and a club hammer and chisel.

You won't be able to cut flush with the adjoining bickwork. Just cut as close as you can and chisel away the waste.
Once you've done that you can make smaller cuts perpendicular into the brickwork, about 10mm apart, then knock away the "feathers" to leave the brickwork somewhere near flush.
You can hire a suitable grinder and disc.

Wear appropriate PPE.

You need a professional view on site. The piers could have been left in to provide support for the run of the walls rather like buttresses.

If alls well then start lifting each brick from the top of the pier.
Prise up from the bed, and use a bolster to split any brick that goes into the wall at the wall line perp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back