Old globe taps ceramic cartridge replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Parents have old taps on their bath (see below example). Both are dripping.

They got a plumber who said he had no idea if there's replacement cermaic cartridges avail. He couldn't find any at the plumbers merchant.

Issue is - they cant get the taps off the bath. He cracked the enamel and said only an angle grinder would do it and new taps purchased.

Parents not enamoured with this idea.

Before any carnage goes on - can anyone advise if they have experience with this age or kind or taps and maybe suggest where replacement cartridges may be sourced?

I know we need a pic of the innards, although, I cant visit to look and parents not comfy to take apart for a pic...

Welcome any advice or help

Random example pic from internet - almost identical to the ones on their bath

upload_2021-3-1_12-34-3.png

Sponsored Links
They got a plumber who said he had no idea if there's replacement cermaic cartridges avail.

You sure they have ceramic cartridges? Do they screw down to close or are they just a quarter turn either way?

1. I's be amazed if they have cartridges. Much more likely to have washers.
2. Why would you need to get the taps off the bath? If they are dripping from their spouts, just change the washers (or, highly unlikely, cartridges). Neither requires tap removal.
3. Job should go like this:
3a. Hot and cold water off.
3b. Remove handle. Screw in top or on one side. If on top may be covered with a screw off / pop off cover. If stiff to remove with screw taken out, pour boiling water over handle and tap it upwards.
3c. Remove shroud. Has flats on it for spanner (large adjustable). Again if stiff, boiling water.
3d. Remove tap works. Will have a largish brass hexagon to put spanner on. Normal right hand thread. With spanner on and handle facing forwards, move spanner to right.
3e. If washer, replace. Likely to be what is known as a 3/4" washer. Measured by nominal pipe size, not physical size of washer.
3f. If cartridge, source new cartridge. Will require a number of very careful measurements. Try bathroomspareparts or tapsparesuk.
3g. Re-assemble tap, replace shroud, replace handle.
3h. Water back on.
4. If the taps genuinely need to come out, they may well have a square on the upper part of the shank, which fits into a square hole in the bath (to stop them from turning). If so they have to be remove from the back, which is usually very difficult for access. Normally helps to remove overflow.

I was told (bear in mind via telephone call to elderly parent) that it needs a "ceramic cartridge".

Maybe cartridge is the wrong phrase. Apparently not washers.

Do they screw down to close or are they just a quarter turn either way?
They screw down. As a kid I loved that bath (old roll top victorian jobbie)

Why would you need to get the taps off the bath? If they are dripping from their spouts, just change the washers (or, highly unlikely, cartridges). Neither requires tap removal.
Apparently a replacement ceramic "cartridge" isnt avail so the only course of action is new taps, hence removing the old.

This is why I was called. I assumed washers due to the age but apparently not

Sponsored Links
Its odd. The cynic in me thinks they saw an opportunity to upsell a washer replacement to a tap replacement.
If so, then why the angle grider suggestion.
Frustrating not being able to help in person. May need to visit and sort myself.
Thanks for the info guys, v.helpful

Oddly enough they look like old bottle taps with a new crutch heads and shrouds judging by the old and new looking finishes.

They'll strip down and new washers can be fitted easy job.

Someone has refurbed those - OP said it's a pic. from t'net. Once I found a wall mount (built in ) genuine Deco bath filler @ local market for £7. Re washered and lubed the glands - made a few £ on a well known auction site. Then some time later......there was a programme on TV where a bathroom had been refurbed to a luxury Deco look. There were the taps ( or an identical set). I wondered how much £ they had cost to the end user. Looked a treat having been re chromed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back