old house reduntant has pipe from floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know what I should do with this:

20jlcp5.jpg

Think it’s an old gas pipe sticking out of my lounge floor. Old 1902 house. It has a flat screwdriver channel on top I assume is to open it.

Thanks in advance;

Sponsored Links
It's a restrictor elbow. The top screw comes off completely and underneath it is another screw that opens / closes the gas supply. It should be removed professionally by a Gas Safe engineer who is qualified to do so. Even just removing the top screw can cause gas to be released, hence why it is sealed.

It's a restrictor elbow. The top screw comes off completely and underneath it is another screw that opens / closes the gas supply. It should be removed professionally by a Gas Safe engineer who is qualified to do so. Even just removing the top screw can cause gas to be released, hence why it is sealed.

Close, but no cigar......................... :)

OP: But you do need a pro

Sponsored Links
I wondered that too. I'm guessing it refers to my comment about when the top screw is removed that gas escapes. At the moment it won't because the screw below will be fully closed to isolate the supply. Anyway here's a nice picture that shows how it works. I seem to remember when I was a lad in the 80's and my father was fitting them he used to call them a 'sperrin' or something similar.

Capture.PNG

I wondered that too. I'm guessing it refers to my comment about when the top screw is removed that gas escapes. At the moment it won't because the screw below will be fully closed to isolate the supply. Anyway here's a nice picture that shows how it works. I seem to remember when I was a lad in the 80's and my father was fitting them he used to call them a 'sperrin' or something similar.

View attachment 146662

I was being pedantic. And a comment on your observational skills. :)
First and Second, you are correct - it is a RE, and a customer should NOT remove the top, a live one WILL leak.

On theOP's, the grub screw is down, as witnessed by the open end (outlet). If the grub screw was passing, this would emit gas.

Therefore, removing the top screw IN THIS CASE will have no effect.

Any idea what price range I’d be talking to have this removed? Just the pipe work obviously. Be good to have a heads up

I'm surprised no one has pointed out that it should be capped off rather than just closed.
Even if the whole length of pipe work has been made redundant, it should really have been capped off by law. Unless there's some kind of exception for restrictor elbows?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back