Old large bore plumbing - can i reduce?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

first post here so please bear with me. I am starting to renovate my Girlfriends house, built sometime 1870's. At some point in the 40s/50s/60s the house has been fitted with central heating (of a sort).

This consists of a large bore pipe (od 2", so can't work out standard size... perhaps 1 1/2" BSP??) which runs as a ring main right round the house in one big circuit loop on the inside of the outer wall (yes its a bungalow) there are about 20 rooms in this, pipe going through every wall and dives into the floor only when an external door is encountered to stop the trip hazard.

This is heated by an oil boiler and a circulating pump. it has stand off radiators in each room. As you can imagine though it is highly inefficent as even if you turn the rad off (if the valves are free) you cannot stop a massive bore pipe pumping its own heat out.

I have three rooms at each end of the house that are not needed at all, (whilst being worked on over the next year or two) and need to economise by not heating them. Eventually all the heating will be swapped out for UFH, as i dig the floor up in each room.

I have two questions:

1) the pipe is 6.25 circumference, hence 2" od, can anyone identify this?
2) I want to 'chop out' or shorten the loop, i was thinking of undoing two joints (after drain down) and putting in a 1 1/2" to 1/2" BSP reducer and then using 1/2" BSP galv pipe, or some plastic 25mm to connect the two reducers. What problems might this create?

Sponsored Links
Maybe a gravity system of some sort.
Rip the lot out and 22mm pipe with new radiators.
Sorted.

well, ripping the lot out is what will be done in the end, but I need to do room by room retrofit of UFH, really looking to know if anyone can identify the pipe size so i can get the right reducers and if 'throttling' the system by jumping it down to 1/2" BSP from 1 1/2" BSP for a section will put undue strain on the pump/boiler etc.....

oh and no gravity here, just one big filled loop.... (I can walk round and see all the pipe right round the house, no risers/joints etc except the rads).

Would go below 1" even then you should turn the boiler as low as possible.

You already know the size is 1½".

And don't use galvanised.

Sponsored Links
Hi Thanks for that, I guess you meant "would NOT" go below 1"?? so If I used a 1 1/2 to 1 inch bush then a an inch BSP to 25mm compression to 25mm copper (or plastic?) that would be good?

Ta

Much depends on the boiler make/model, size and minimum requited flow rate, but yes I did mean not below.

However if the work is being completed before the heating season, you could just chuck a link pipe in, in 15mm or 22mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back