Old loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been lurking here since we bought our new house back in August, but this is my first post here. The house is a four bedroom dormer bungalow, with two bedrooms and a bathroom in the loft. I don't know how old the conversion is, but am posting to get some opinions on the loft and insulation. There are a number of photos below as a picture is worth a thousand words.

The loft has been insulated with 270mm of mineral wool at some point relatively recently. At the same time it appears that the same insulation was put into the stud walls that have formed the upstairs. Clearly this has had a minimal affect as gravity has largely taken over and caused it to sag. There are photos of this at the link. This clearly needs improving, but my second concern/question is with regards to the insulation above this.

The ceiling of the conversion is fairly close to the roof and it appears that they pushed some of the mineral wool into the gap between the two. This can't go particularly high up or indeed provide a significant amount of insulation. On the only part of the sloping ceiling that I can see, the insulation had slipped down, showing the back of the plasterboard behind it.

My intention with regard to the stud walls is to remove the mineral wool and replace with one of the solid products (yet to be decided). What is my best option with the ceiling? It has wood chip paper on it a the moment which we intend to take off, so should I take the plunge and have the plasterboard removed to allow the installation of insulated plasterboard?

To add to the problems, at some point a cupboard was added from one of the bedrooms. We always wondered why that room smelled quite bad but now that it is winter it has become clear. There is very little insulation around this cupboard and so condensation is occurring. I can access the loft side of this cupboard so what product would be suitable as it seems to have a thin layer of mineral wool stapled to it.

Finally, I'm slightly concerned at the lack of ventilation in the loft. There are no soffit vents and there doesn't appear to be a ridge vent. Even if there was, with the conversion the air flow would be minimal. Is there enough air flow though the sheathing underneath the tiles? I don't see any evidence of condensation, but suspect that its more likely to appear out of sight with the arrangement of the property.

Sorry for all the questions in my first post, but hopefully you can provide me with some ideas.

Thanks

Guyan

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back