Old Loft Insulation - Replace or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - my loft insulation is very old (thin and brown) and so I'm thinking of replacing it.

I'm not sure I can face removing the old insulation, so I'm thinking of just sticking some new onto the old. I don't suppose this is a bad idea?

Also, I'm keen to try and make the space up there a bit more useable for storage, but I've read before that putting boards over insulation reduces the usefulness of the insulation - if this is the case, are there any other options?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's OK to lay new over old.

However if there is a lot of irritant dust up there, you might want to vac it out. Modern mineral quilt by some makers is treated with "Ecose" which makes it pale brown and prevents it shedding much dust or fibres. It will say on the wrapping, if it is. Most Knauf is treated, and some own-brands.

If your loft is unfelted it will always be filthy so not much point trying to clean it.

You must not squash insulation down with flooring, for two reasons. If money is not too tight, lay quilt between the timbers, lay rigid insulating foam slabs on top of the timbers, and lay ply (preferably) or chipboard on top. The rigid foam will transmit the load the the timbers below. Foam costs more than quilt.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back