OLD OPTIMA XL - BACKUP BATTERY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Optma XL Burglar alarm.
Prob is that the backup battery only seems to be getting 9volts from the unit instead of 12. This means that it cant do the job when the power goes off , so the alarm sounds.
I am not an expert but I guess there is an internal transformer which is duff? Is it repairable/replaceable? (I am happy to keep the alarm setup if I can repair it) :?:
thanks - first posting from a newbie !

Sponsored Links
Did you measure the voltage with the battery still connected ?, if so , disconnect it and measure the voltage at end of the leads.If its still 9v , swap the panel.

Thanks for the reply.
Yep - 9v at the end of the leads , battery removed. :cry:

Will a new panel connect to the exixsting wired setup I have (4 zone)? (don't want to get involved in rewiring !) Any model you would recommend?
:?:
Cheers again !

Just ensure nothing else is dragging the voltage down first , remove one leg of the 12v aux , then one from the SAB ( D ).

Optima compact will do as a replacement.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be thick Denford ! (I'm not that technical I'm afraid) :oops:
What else might be causing the power drop?
Do I just need to measure the voltage again between the wires you suggested I remove?
:oops:

Take out the wire from 12v+ , then measure the leads again , same for bellbox ( D ) , just incase one of the other powered devices has a fault , otherwise you will swap the panel , and still have a fault on your wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back