Old pine floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have recently had our old pine boards downstairs sanded and varnished and they're lovely now. We know that upstairs we have some more old pine boards hiding under the carpets but this time we want to avoid the sanding as the dust before was horrendous and we think the upstairs boards are in better condition. Would it be possible to varnish the boards without sanding? Would really appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Hello Myra, and welcome back to the forum (y)
Of course it is possible to varnish timber without sanding, assuming it hasn't been treated with any other product, of course. A thorough vacuum would be essential, especially in the grooves where the boards meet.....I'd consider a gentle mopping too.
Have the boards been covered completely? The colour will change dramatically if exposed to sunlight etc.
A photo could help, if that's possible.
John :)

Hi John!!!! xx

The boards have been covered in carpet since we moved in 32 years ago and since we know we have to replace the carpets, we are now thinking of exposing the floorboards which are Victorian and as far as we know are in good order. We have done 2 rooms downstairs which were complicated and messy but upstairs seem much more straight forward. Still reeling from the dust downstairs we feel like taking the carpets up and just varnishing the boards to cut down on yet more dust and chaos. So glad you think it can be done! Worth a try at least.

Hello again :)!
I guess you'll be able to make a better assessment once the carpets are up - what I often find is damage to the boards where they have been lifted or cut - maybe for a rewire or central heating work or whatever. It depends on how careful any contractor has been in the past how good the end result will be. I've also seen large gaps at the bottom of the doors to clear the carpets, but that could be acceptable.
Also, if the boards hadn't been seasoned before laying all those years ago the gaps between them may be wide.....the moisture content of timber greatly effects movement.
For sure, thorough cleaning is vital but too much moisture will cause the timber grain to lift a little and that will need rubbing down before treatment and debris must be vacuumed out of the joins of the boards.
I'm a little concerned that the dust was excessive from your last project - industrial sanders generally have good dust extraction these days and normally sealing the doors with tape and the use of a hired air mover keeps things in order.
Of course you could use a contractor to do the work for you if the thought of it drives you to despair!
Good luck with your project if you decide to continue - we are always pleased to hear the outcome.
Regards
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thank you John for your valuable insight and knowledge into this latest episode of our DIY activities - you have always guided us so brilliantly through the years! Your advice will be heeded and fingers crossed we should have a good result.

Hahaha! No John You're not going anywhere!! Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back