Old Potterton boiler not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pretty ancient potterton boiler which has all of a sudden stopped working. When heat is called for it is not firing up for hot water or central heating it is just making a pretty awful noise as if a motor is grinding. When I turn it off from the central heating control it goes off with a thump. The pilot light is on and I did manage to get it to fire up once after it had been left for a while. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Sponsored Links
lack of water maybe, check there is some water in f&e tank, should cover outlet connection.

sounds like the fan at the top of the boiler if thats faulty it wont operate the presure swich and gas valve?
What boiler is it?
take front cover off and see if noise is from the top of the boiler

Sponsored Links
profiles cant be ancient - I've got one

they were still selling kingfisher 2 years ago as i installed one at a commercial premises(condensing not required) and no drain nearby anyway.

Love the old profiles easy to fix if they go wrong but not that often goes wrong

Many thanks for your responces. The model is a Potterton Flamingo II RS40.
If it is left for a while it will fire up again as normal but after about 30 minutes the noise starts.
The noise is coming from the top of the boiler so the fan would make sense.
Does anyone have any idea what this would cost to replace and if it is worth doing on something probably over 20 years old.

As far as I can recall the Flamingo was always a natural draught boiler so if thats right then it does NOT have a fan!

Could it be a noisy pump?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back