Old reconstituted stone stooled window cill -bowed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering what the window fitters on here do in this situation. I'm fitting a large R9 triple glazed unit 2100 wide x 1400 high. But I notice the in situ cill is bowed i.e. high in the middle, with a 10mm gap each end if you put a straight edge level on it. I ended up replacing the cill on the back of the house as that one was in pieces, it was a real ball ache making the mold etc......and as this one is big I'd have to make it in 2 pieces. I was thinking of trying to fill the 10mm gap to get a level base for the window. I'm guessing the norm would be packers and foam with silicone at the front to conceal?

Sponsored Links
A pic would help.
I assume a concrete painted cill? If so as you say packers and foam but I would use an external caulk so it can be painted.
Masking tape straight edge, Caulk, Paint, Remove tape, Nice clean straight painted edge

20171015_133042.jpg 20171015_134834.jpg

Thanks for the reply.....yes it is painted and I'm now thinking it may be better to level the cill. It is in two parts and they are both running up toward the centre. I was thinking of using some cement based repair filler to create a level on each end, then screed off that to create a solid base for the window to sit on, as the back of the cill has had the hell bashed out of it, but like I said now thinking it may be easier to level out.

Attachments

• 20171015_133042.jpg
    20171015_133042.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
I have decided to make this cill from scratch in one piece...........just didn't feel right spending all that money on the R9 system and placing it on this wonky old bugger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back