How to fit window that's slightly too small?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I really need to replace the rotten single glazed window in my kitchen - I'm on an incredibly tight budget and have been scanning eBay and other sources for a suitable used unit.
I have spotted a really cheap window, but it is about 30mm smaller on both the width and height (with the cill fitted). Is there any simple way to make this fit, or should I just keep on looking for something more suitable?
I had wondered about fixing a board on top of the opening below the cill to reduce the gap, then just gunning foam into the 15mm gap on either side of the window and letting this cure before fully tightening the fixings.

Sponsored Links
You can make up the difference with a 'frame extender' usually called 'clip on' or 'add on' in the trade, google these terms and you'll see what i mean, it might take a trip to a friendly local DG company who could sell you some

You can make up the difference with a 'frame extender' usually called 'clip on' or 'add on' in the trade, google these terms and you'll see what i mean, it might take a trip to a friendly local DG company who could sell you some
Cool, thanks! I guess I just need to get my hands on the window and find out what profile it is, or are these clip ons/add ons universal?

Correct they are profile specific but seeing as they're screwed on you can normally get any to fit any profile, don't forget the frame depth too when thinking about sourcing add on's, most frames now are 70mm thick so look for add on's for a 70mm frame

Sponsored Links
If you're having problem finding the right profile you might get away with using coupler which is similar when they join the 2 frames together, they're normally 15mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back