PVC WiNdows - should I bin them and start again?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of UPVC (REHAU) windows that don't seem to be fitted very well. Two windows in total, fitted into what was one large existing hole in a cavity wall that was originally one large wooden frame window. The existing hole was enlarged, split into two smaller holes (blocks added in middle plus lintels added.

I'm not sure if I should just bin them and start again or try to salvage some of the bits? Below is the list of woes....

1. Window width and hole width.

The edges of the UPVC frames are really tight against the edges of the hole made for the windows (A really tight fit). Is this ok? I though at least a 5mm gap all round was needed to allow for movement and adjustment etc. Also, once the plasterboard and skim is added to the inner edges this will cover quite a bit of the inner UPVC frame width! I had thought about removing the window and opening the hole widths up about 10mm?

2. Window height.

There is approxiately half a brick gap beneath the underside of the window. This is with the plastic window cill in place. This seems a bit excessive. The sill is currently sitting on a couple of lumps of sawn softwood timber (is that ok?). What's the solution to this quite large gap, bin the window and re-order taller ones? perhaps there is an acceptable way of filling this gap that wont look like a pigs ear? The inner is going to be plastered so no problems on that side. The outer however is brickwork to where the bottom of the hole opening currently is.

3. Position of windows in cavity wall.

The widows have been fitted such that they are at about the middle of the cavity (fixed to the "timloc" cavity closers). The BC officer commented that he thought the windows should be further out on the outer leaf of the cavity wall?

Final point. The sill of one window is damaged and the outer glass of the other is also damaged so I will need to remove some or all of both windows anyway.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Taking all 3 points into account i'd replace the lot but just some pointers for you...

Measure the brick to brick opening and deduct 10mm, this will be the frame manufacturing size, as you've pointed out most of the frame will get covered by plaster board and skim so specify a 20mm frame extender for each side of the frame but include this in the width size, do the same for the height. Also include your cill in the height manufacture size

As for positioning a general rule of thumb is to fit the frame so the inner face of the frame is flush with the inner face of the outer skin of brick, how that will work with your avity closer i don't know as i can't see

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back