Cavity closers necessary in this instance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently in the process of redecorating a couple of bedrooms and am preparing to replaster. The house is a 1930's semi with UPVC windows and cavity wall insulation.

I've removed the old reveals in order to replace the window board and understand I should really be closing the cavity prior to the reveals being plasterboarded. However, I'm not sure they'll actually be any benefit to cavity closers when retrofitted as, certainly on the larger bay window where a lot of outer leaf shows, the plasterboard is still likely to form a bridge between the outer and inner brick when fitted as the closer can't be lipped under the window frame, plus the walls are full of insulation anyway. So the question is, should I:

1, Fit cavity closers regardless as they're simple and they might do something?
2, Put a strip of polystyrene in the cavity and insert a DPM between it and the outerleaf which lips around the outer leaf and the edge of the window frame slightly?
3, Instruct the pasterer to use moisture resistent plasterboard?
4, Not bother at all and just get on with

I should add theres no signs of moisture currently.

Large bedroom bay window

P1020375.jpg

Small bedroom window

P1020376.jpg

Any advice welsome. I think option 2 is probably the best bet, but I'm tempted to just go with option 4 and do nothing! Is there any benefit to trying to close the cavity with a DPM/insulation in this instance?

Sponsored Links
Well a bit of poly wrapped in dpm wouldn't do any harm. You'd kick yourself if you ever got an damp ingress in round this window in the future.

Thanks Freddy, can't argue with that logic... I think I'm going to use cavity closers extended with some DPM to cover the remaining exposed outerleaf. Should do the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back