Fitting Residence 9 Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm about to start fitting my residence 9 windows, and looking for others who have fitted them to avoid any mistakes. I have opted for the stub cill and as the supplied cills are for a 70mm profile what is the best way to secure / align, I also have the frame extender to fill the gap. Just looking for what screws / sealant and methodology others have used?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Pm me your email address I have a diagram I can send.
Silicone up the last 3 chambers in the outside of the bottom of the frame to prevent water from the drainage channels getting into your walls.
Seal the 2 ends of the cill and the back edge.
60mm screws will do. You can use baypole screws or you can countersink in a normal screw. I would recommend stainless steel though.

Due to the weight of the triple glazing units I am planning on removing the sashes......is this what you do?

I have also noticed that the frames are not that rigid which in essence lets them move out of square slightly, I plan on using a framing square to true and pack out square when placed in the window opening, as this is essential to maintain the consistent gap between the sash and frame.

Yes removing the sash's makes like much easier.
I check the square with levels and measurements but a square will do the job too

Sponsored Links
OK great, I also have some winbags which should make single handed leveling easier.

I have PM'd you my address.

Do you remove the sash from the hinges or the hinges from the sash?

I'm thinking about using the timco multifix as no plug is needed. Although keen to have window fitters opinions of how these perform in old brick work, these will be going into stock bricks from 1890's period which can be a little brittle and flaky.

I dont know that particular brand but that sort of screw are awesome! they will fix solidly into pretty much anything.

Ah I thought the timco multi fix was the defacto plugless screw........which brand do you use?

Consert
Its just the brand that Eurocell sells as its where I get most of my ancillary's, Trims, Silicone, cleaning stuff, Screws etc
Like most screws I expect they are pretty much the same and all come from one factory somewhere in China

I have ordered some 60mm stainless baypole screws for the cill and extension. I assume you fix the extension to the frame and not the cill? Out of interest is there any particular type of silicone that is used in window fitting?

LMA silicone (low modulus, Neutral cure).
Are you talking about the internal cill extender like in the diagram I sent? If so that screws to the cill first. My suppliers do that in the factory.

Ok thanks for the silicone info....yes I am talking about the aluminium extender in the pics.....my supplier supplied loose so I have to fit. But I will screw to the cill as you suggest. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back