Old Swimming Pool -> Pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

There's an old swimming pool that I'd like to try and convert into a lilly pond of some sort (Really old, basically just a hole in the ground with a concrete base and brick sides, falling apart). On the plus side we have running water coming down past the pond from a spring up the hill, so to fill it all I'd have to do is divert the pipe.

I was thinking of doing a rough job of maybe painting some sealant onto the bigger cracks: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3107...1=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

And then drilling an overflow hole 50 cm from the top, to fit a pipe which can take the water on down the hill once the pond is full. The only problem being that the walls of the pond are three bricks deep and I've only got a small power drill. Any other ideas on how to get the hole done?

Also - just let me know if for whatever reason you think the whole idea is stupid!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Probably as easy to physically take out the whole brick and rebuild around the pipe using cement suitable for ponds. As to the sealant I'd ask the manufactures although if the cracks are large then a repoint may be needed first.

It may work out easiest to line it with a pond liner. Trying to waterproof a masonary structure is easy if its in very good condition. If its in bad condition or cracks and signs of movement it can be a real pain.

you would need to fill the large cracks and ideally render it and then apply waterproofing to the new render whether that be tanking slurry or a G4 type sealer. By the time you do all this a liner light be cheaper depending on size. It will also prtect against small future movement which would cause the render to crack and fail

A core drill can be used for the hole or as said rebuilding might be easier

If you wanted to go down the liner route, you could get a made-to-measure box welded liner which you then drop into the pool.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone, wanting to do it as cheap as possible, so interesting to see how cheap liners were. unfortunately there's a fair bit of water at the bottom already, plus other rubble, so I'm wondering if it might be worth seeing how well it fills up by itself before pumping water out and fitting a liner - unless you all think that's just asking for trouble?

Taking the bricks out is a good idea - didn't think of it.

If there's a stream/spring running in to it then it doesn't have to be terribly watertight :)

My concern would be, is it not going to be a bit too deep, and with straight sides any pets/people/wildlife that fall in might not be able to get out?

if a stream fill it up then its not an issue if it leaks, but where that leaking water goes is the issue.

Will your lawn become a saturated bog because of constant seepage from the pond, will it run down into your cellar etc etc.

If its not very close to the house give it a go.

Thanks, might be worth a pop, water should just run downhill into a field which is already pretty wet (from other leaks I imagine).

It would end up being pretty deep, but likewise now even without water, if something fill in (animal etc) it'd struggle to get out. Any way round that? I suppose a fence all the way around it.

You could put a gradient/ steps etc at one end but its a lot of work.

In a pond you would normally have a 'beach' for wildlife to clamber out but

Something as simple as a wide plank will help most animals get out.

Probably best to fence it off though.

I suggest to get the Swimming Pool Built in your backyard that will make the best use of your space and also add value to your property.

About pond I may say that having a pond with an artificial fountain is a great idea which keeps you in touch with the nature always.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back