Old terrace house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to rewire my house (well my mums) and want to put a downstairs ring main in. The trouble is that the front room has floorboards which is fine but the next room has a concrete floor. I want a socket (only one) in this room.

1.) Would it be a better idea to have this socket as a spur from the bedroom above?

2.) Have the front room as a radial circuit?

3.) Have the kitchen on a separate ring main? (I guess yes to this one)

Regards.

Sponsored Links
if you are going to bring one cable downstairs from upstairs, why not bring two and make it part of the ring?
(and even one twin will never be enough.)

Kitchen should be on its own own ring.

also get the biggest split consumers unit you can, saves hassle latter

I would have thought it better not to bring one wire down from upstairs and to keep downstairs seperate, just for the reason that if you have the whole of downstairs except one socket on one ring, and you remove the fuse or mcb for the new downstairs ring would it not be easy to forget that one socket is supplied from upstairs.

despite what i said i would have to agree, but in most houses there is only one ring for all sockets except kitchen

Sponsored Links
why not have a socket on the downstairs ring on an ajoining wall then you can simply pass a loop of cable through the wall and then the socket in the room with a concrete floor has a socket on a ring, also there is no requirement for the kitchen to be on its own circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back