Old Vauxhall Cresta.

Early Humber Hawks and Super Snipes had knee cracking front windscreens. Wasn't the Mk 1 Consul/Zodiac the first car to use McPherson struts?

Sponsored Links
A very good friend of mine has a collection of old cars scattered around his property ( he lives out in the sticks )

2 Armstrong Siddelys
4 Morris 1000's
Hillman imp
2 jags ( them gangster film jags)
daimler Dart
Triumph Spit fire
3 Rover 100's (with the suicide doors)
MG Midget
Wolsely Hornet

He is a horder all the above are in various states of repair

bikes he has a Triumph Trident
Norton 850 commando
Early suzuki GT water cooled triple 2 stroke. Front drum brake model
Triumph Bonneville ( Silver Jubilee model)

and more

IMG_2998.PNG

If yours was the '59 model, do you remember the speedometer, which didn't have a needle, but simply an orange disc which turned clockwise as the speed increased.
Yours would have had the tall tail- lights in deep chromed bezels.

Yes! Until you mentioned it, I had forgotten the speedo! It is "quite a long time" ago! Yes, the rear lights were huge oval things, and the flasher was sat atop the rear wing. You are correct, the facelifted model had completely restyled rear lamps. The fuel filler cap on the one we had was missing, it had a rubber one in the filler neck!

I too also had an FD Ventora. With an SU conversion, I used to get approx 18mpg round town, and late 20s or even low 30s on a run! I absolutely hated that slant OHC 4-cylinder engine in the FD & FEs, By all accounts it was half a Chevrolet V8! Whether this is fact is debatable, as I am sure it would not have been worth re-casting the block to "close-off" the other 4 cylinders. I recall that Opel continued to use their OHV engine the the late 60s/70s (which was scrounged by Vauxhall for the Mark 1 Cavalier) until the OHC unit we are all familiar with went into the Novas, Astras and Mk 11 Cavaliers. Rumour has it that it was thought that the 4-cylinder engine from the earlier Victors would be too tall for the new FD, so that is why they went for the slant engine - and then fitted the straight six in the Ventora and Victor 3300 Estate! An identical engine, but with two more cylinders!

Sponsored Links
I've just remembered that there were a couple of changes for the 1960 model year. The front sidelamps/indicators were placed in a chrome housing, and the rear window was enlarged and now wrapped around in one piece. I don't remember any other changes, does anyone else?

Did the early F series Victor have an exhaust coming out through the rear light cluster? I always preferred Fords back in those days though.

I've got a fine example of the slant engine parked on my drive. It's the 2.3l version in the front of a Bedford CF (1984 facelift).

Did the early F series Victor have an exhaust coming out through the rear light cluster? I always preferred Fords back in those days though.
Yes, the first of the F-Series Victors did have the exhaust coming out through the bottom of the O/S/R light cluster, or rather through the chrome detail around the rear light. Post facelift (1960 model year IIRC) the exhaust exited at the N/S/R of the car below the bumper. Isn't it strange that details such as this are recalled when prompted? I always found the Fords (Consuls and Zephyrs) from this era very noisy. Sound deadening in the Vauxhalls was, IMO much better

I had a Mk3 Zephyr in the early 70's and really wanted a Mk4 Zodiac Executive. Passed by a 3.3 PB Cresta and a Vanden Plas Princess 4 litre R. All about £250...

I think the F series Victor exhaust was changed because it rotted the light cluster.

I knew someone who I used to buy Leyland parts off for my succession of Metros Maestros & Montys. He said they were recon but they always looked brand new. Then I found out he knew someone who worked* at Longbridge....

* When they weren't striking...

Isn't that like the Johnny Cash song about the Cadillac built " one piece at a time "?

Sponsored Links
Back