Old water heater? Pipe identification

Following on from this, I've scanned the pipe with an ultrasonic transducer and there's water inside but not all the way through to the end.

If it was at mains pressure I'd expect it to be under pressure and completely full? Or is it likely that its just an air bubble at the end?

Definitely not gas though.

If the capped end is at a high point, then below the cap there will be a pocket of air, yes.

Sponsored Links
If cutting back open pipes and not removing entirely please do not cap them off as you are suggesting you will:

1. a waste of money and time
2. you'll confuse the next person to find the pipe some years down the line

If you insist on doing so at least leave a note saying what you've done and why attached to the pipe(s).

I've already written on the pipes, so that's no problem.

Today I've been into the loft again and there has been 2 water tanks in there.

The largest was removed but the other small one was empty but not disconnected. I've cut off the pipe with the valve and pulled the tank out the way.

If I'm to remove these pipes, is it likely the valved one is live? A combi boiler has been fitted at some point, so surely they'd isolate all old ones?

20230325_170322.jpg

Sponsored Links
Maybe not ... though gate valves were normally fitted to gravity feed pipes rather than mains supplies. Open it and see (very slowly)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back