On a Lighter Note - There are Two literal meanings of "Full-Din-rail" here!!

Well, given the context of modifying CUs and thereby losing type-approval....
Given your attitude to precision, I'm surprised at you. What I "actually wrote" and "actually asked" was quite clear, but you chose to totally disregard the qualification in what I had actually written/asked.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Maybe, but do you seriously believe that installing a different-make Main Switch (which 'fits' satisfactorily) could conceivably have any bearing on the safety of the CU?
Is that "fits satisfactorily" in the CU manufacturer's opinion, or someone else's?

Sponsored Links
harry-enfield-278x160.jpg

You fell for it - this was a joke post - and YES I do have a 63amp Switch Fuse in the Meter Tails feeding my REAL consumer unit! The PFC is well within the capabilities of an M6 Breaker anyway. The MK unit you see in the photo is a non functioning empty MK din-rail mount enclosure only, populated with the contents of the Bargain Wylex Unit I bought - I was originally in to buy just ONE spare Rcd unit, plus two or three spare breakers, but I saw this deal at a much cheaper price than buying the bits separately, and went for it.

Furthermore I utilised the full steel Wylex din-rail to replace the flimsy half-din-rail in my real Wylex consumer board - it is also exactly the same width, and the new din rail fitted perfectly in my main Wylex board. It slotted perfectly into the grooves at each end of the housing.

I did not even have to disconnect a single Meter tail or MCB at all to do the swap, as the old half-rail allowed the breaker row to be simply swung forwards, because the din clips on the devices were anchored in thin air! Four little easily undone white plastic clips were all that retained the busbars onto the back of the half din-rail strip. (Two per side).

Once swung forward, I undid the two large machine screws holding the din rail in its place, and swapped in the new din-rail in its place, it fitted perfectly in alignment!

Finally I just gently pushed the main switch, RCDS and Breakers onto the new din-rail, and the din-clips just locked into place against the new din-rail, making a stress free install.

The covers were replaced, and the Switch-fuse in the meter tails was turned back on - job done!

Maybe, but do you seriously believe that installing a different-make Main Switch (which 'fits' satisfactorily) could conceivably have any bearing on the safety of the CU?
Is that "fits satisfactorily" in the CU manufacturer's opinion, or someone else's?
I was actually thinking in terms of fact, rather than anyone's opinion.

I wonder how far is this going to deviate from common sense. If the published relevant dimensions were identical for both switches, would you feel that whether or not it 'fitted satisfactorily' would still be "a matter of opinion"?

However, if we're talking about opinions, I wonder what is your view about chopping bus bars? Who is to be the arbiter of whether or not it has been done 'satisfactorily enough' not to invalidate the type testing?

Kind Regards, John

I was actually thinking in terms of fact, rather than anyone's opinion.
If they did actually fit correctly, and were the correct specification, then in spite of not being type-tested there would not be a safety issue
If the published relevant dimensions were identical for both switches, would you feel that whether or not it 'fitted satisfactorily' would still be "a matter of opinion"?
If the tolerances were included, and the materials were the same. The reason we type-test is to verify things, so that opinions don't matter.
I wonder what is your view about chopping bus bars? Who is to be the arbiter of whether or not it has been done 'satisfactorily enough' not to invalidate the type testing?
Depends on the MIs. If done in accordance with them then the person doing that has to make a judgement. If not, then no, the type-testing is invalid. Decent manufacturers will have tested various configurations of their products.

MK also have user cuttable busbars too. British General have cuttable busbars too. Wylex have them on their newer models on consumer unit.

MK also have user cuttable busbars too. British General have cuttable busbars too. Wylex have them on their newer models on consumer unit.
Well every busbar is 'cuttable', even a busbar chamber :D
But basically everybody that sells a HI consumer unit supplies it with a snappable busbar. It's just how it's done. And I hope Wylex have VASTLY improved their busbars, they used to be godawful.

If they did actually fit correctly, and were the correct specification, then in spite of not being type-tested there would not be a safety issue
That much is apparent. However, are you saying that they would still have to be regarded as not being 'type tested', hence not a "CU" per BS7671 definition?
If the published relevant dimensions were identical for both switches, would you feel that whether or not it 'fitted satisfactorily' would still be "a matter of opinion"?
If the tolerances were included, and the materials were the same. The reason we type-test is to verify things, so that opinions don't matter.
Without a ludicrous amount of testing (involving a wide range of {'within tolerance'} actual sizes of relevant components), the issues of tolerances cannot really be 'verified' experimentally - that really has to be done on a theoretical basis, doesn't it?

I do wonder if if we're not at risk of losing sight of common sense. If, in 'everyday' terms, the component 'fits', then I would suggest that the way in which the component is installed (terminal tightness etc.) is a very much more important factor (in terms of safety) than are such issues as dimensional tolerances and materials.

We've been over all the theoretical possibilities in the past, but I wonder whether there has ever been a real-world case in which it has been proven that some sort of 'failure' of a CU was the consequence of it having been populated with one or more 'wrong make' (but 'dimensionally similar') components?
I wonder what is your view about chopping bus bars? Who is to be the arbiter of whether or not it has been done 'satisfactorily enough' not to invalidate the type testing?
Depends on the MIs. If done in accordance with them then the person doing that has to make a judgement. If not, then no, the type-testing is invalid. Decent manufacturers will have tested various configurations of their products.
If we are being 'pedantic', then the most relevant factor is surely the way in which the cutting is done (e.g. whether it results in any twisting, or other distortion, of the bar) and there's no way that a manufacturer is going to know, and test, every possible variant of that.

Kind Regards, John

If we are being 'pedantic', then the most relevant factor is surely the way in which the cutting is done (e.g. whether it results in any twisting, or other distortion, of the bar) and there's no way that a manufacturer is going to know, and test, every possible variant of that
No, but they often give you instructions on how to adjust them. Whether you choose to follow them or not, is not their fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back