On a Lighter Note - There are Two literal meanings of "Full-Din-rail" here!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
'They' wouyld certainly say that it ceased to be 'type tested' (hence ceased to be a BS7671-compliant 'CU' for domestic use) if you did that!
I certainly would!
You were definitely in my mind when I wrote that :)
... but if such a CU (and padlock) were used in an installation without an upstream switch-fuse or other isolator it would then (when padlocked) be potentially diabolically dangerous (and non-compliant), wouldn't it?
I agree.
Glad you agree!

Kind Regards, John

[The more pedantic amongst us might argue that once a user has taken a hacksaw to one of the components, the product ceases to be 'type tested', and therefore would not qualify as a 'CU'!!
Surely if user-customising of the busbar length(s) is supported, i.e. the maker expects/allows it to be cut or snapped at score lines, and has instructions relating to this, it must retain its type-tested status?

[The more pedantic amongst us might argue that once a user has taken a hacksaw to one of the components, the product ceases to be 'type tested', and therefore would not qualify as a 'CU'!!
Surely if user-customising of the busbar length(s) is supported, i.e. the maker expects/allows it to be cut or snapped at score lines, and has instructions relating to this, it must retain its type-tested status?
That's certainly what common sense would say, but, judging by some things I hear, I wouldn't/couldn't guarantee that everyone would agree. If, say, (as have been suggested) replacing the Main Switch with one of a different manufacturer (which is compatible mechanically) is thought by some to invalidate the 'type tested' status, then I reckon that anything is possible in their eyes!

Kind Regards, John

That scenario is materially different from a maker supplying a busbar which he fully intends or allows to be cut. And if cutting is to be regarded as invalidating type approval then so would swapping a supplied MCB in a fully populated CU for a different value of the same make and range.

That scenario is materially different from a maker supplying a busbar which he fully intends or allows to be cut.
Maybe, but do you seriously believe that installing a different-make Main Switch (which 'fits' satisfactorily) could conceivably have any bearing on the safety of the CU?
And if cutting is to be regarded as invalidating type approval then so would swapping a supplied MCB in a fully populated CU for a different value of the same make and range.
As I've said, you are preaching to the converted. If you want an argument, you'll have to find someone 'on the other side' to have it with!

Kind Regards, John

Maybe, but do you seriously believe that installing a different-make Main Switch (which 'fits' satisfactorily) could conceivably have any bearing on the safety of the CU?
Yes, I do, because it is abundantly clear from a lot of the posts we get here that the world is full of idiots who would be unable to tell if a different-make switch did fit satisfactorily.

Given the indeterminate possibilities which would arise from fitting other-make items, I am in complete agreement with the idea that any change like that invalidates the approval testing done by the maker.

Yes, I do, because it is abundantly clear from a lot of the posts we get here that the world is full of idiots who would be unable to tell if a different-make switch did fit satisfactorily.
Maybe, but that's not an answer to the question which I "actually asked".

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back