One cold radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, be warned, I have NO plumbing experience whatsoever, but i'm not a woman, so its not too bad

I have one radiator upstairs that is STONE cold, it has a thermostatic valve at one end.

When I moved into the house a couple of months back it had a leak, so I got a plumber round who ripped me off and just tightened the nut. I'm sure the radiator worked before this, so now it doesn't leak, but doesn't work.

I have a back boiler behind my fireplace and a hot water tank in the loft.

Both pipes going to this radiator are stone cold to the touch!!!

Can you help me please as its my 3 year old's bedroom and its starting to get very cold at night

Sponsored Links
Most likely cause is a stuck thermostatic radiator valve (TRV). Tap the metal side of it with a hammer and keep doing it, not so hard as to break anything but vigorously enough until the little pipe coming up to it from the floor gets warm. (when the heating is on obviously)

Most unlilkely cause as it's upstairs is a blockage, turn off every other radiator and it'll start to work, turn the others back on.

Plumber couldn't have caused it if he just tightenend a nut.

Sticky trv is a run of the mill occurance.

Thanks for replying so quickly

Do I tap the pipe coming up from the floor???

The valve top is all plastic and I do not want to break it?

No or it will leak, just the body of the valve.

You can remove the plastic top if you aren't a good shot with a hammer. There is a nurled ring at it's base, turn it counter clockwise and lift off the plastic assembly, it will be stiff.

If you can target the bright metal coloured body without above rigmaroll it would work.

If you get top off don't be tempted to pull on pin with pliers, they come out and don't go back, trust me.

Sponsored Links
Your an absolute diamond

Sorted first time, I can't thank you enough

Stuck valve it is

I'm broke and youve saved me a fortune

Thanks again

That's no problem just ask here first there are quite a few professionals giving their advice for free in this place. Someone will always give the right answer if you ask the question.

Paul

I typed in "cold Radiator" in google and got to this site. I've created an account to say thanks for the reply to Umverts question. I've just moved in to a new house and had exactly the same problem.

A few taps last night with the back on a spanner (not a diy'er), and all fixed.

Thanks

Amerjit

As Paul said.. its a fairly frequent occurence.

I went to a house the other week who wanted a flush because of blocked radiators, 4 stuck TRV's. Told them it was sticking valves, they still wanted the flush (and to be honest, I found it wasn't the cleanest of systems whilst doing the flush)... bonus :D

Paul Barker you are a diamond. Just done the "turn off all radiators" thing and hey presto it's all good.

Thanks so much.

and Happy Christmas

Jim

I have also just googled "one cold radiator" and now have it working with a couple of wacks with a hammer. Brilliant!

Thank you Paul

Many thanks Paul.

Worked first time.

Sure I'd seen it done before but never brave enough to tackle it without proper instructions.

Thanks again

Paul,

LIke may others I had a couple of cold radiators. I guessed that the TRV was faulty but assumed they would need replacing but by removing the top of one and manipulating the pin and 'gently' whacking the other with a hammer they are both now piping hot again.

Thanks

Herts,

I'm aware of the age of the thread and the more recent posts however I found this thread today via a search and it was obviously very useful. It seems to have also been very useful to a number of other people as well. It seems to still be current and relevant despite it's age.

It's also always nice to have an end result to a thread so that you know whether the solution worked and if so which solution was used, don't you think?

I find it very frustrating when someone has taken the time to help somebody with a problem only for there to be no end result.

Just my opinion :)

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back