One for Mottie (other replies welcome.)

Sponsored Links
Forget winter tyres and chains...

Can I... remove my 18" wheels and replace them with 17" wheels with appropriate tyres on?

We all know 17" tyres on 18" rims is fanciful, to say the least. And not what I asked.

Assuming your 18” rims have 235/45’s on, looking at this comparison chart, there’s very little difference overall. I’d do it.

A7DF21E5-A821-48DA-800D-F877001AE12E.png

Sponsored Links
Depending on the aspect ratio of the tyre, yes.
No.

Not "the same".

Close, possibly.

Close enough for it not to matter, possibly.

Also possibly not close enough for it not to matter and for the odometer readings to become materially false, for fuel consumption to be calculated materially incorrectly and, most importantly, for the speedometer to read materially incorrectly.

Can I... remove my 18" wheels and replace them with 17" wheels with appropriate tyres on?
Most car manufacturers will have different size wheel options for the same car. My passat can have 16", 17" or 18", the height of the tyre (35/40/45 etc) will be higher in the smaller wheel, giving an equal circumference across all sizes. Smaller wheels generally give better comfort, steel wheels more so as they flex a bit.

No.

Not "the same".

Close, possibly.

Close enough for it not to matter, possibly.

Also possibly not close enough for it not to matter and for the odometer readings to become materially false, for fuel consumption to be calculated materially incorrectly and, most importantly, for the speedometer to read materially incorrectly.
It’s for a one-off trip to the Alps. No speedo is 100% accurate (more so with tyre chains fitted) and I suspect the OP won’t be worried if his fuel consumption figures are a little off for his trip. Stop being so picky!

Most car manufacturers will have different size wheel options for the same car. My passat can have 16", 17" or 18", the height of the tyre (35/40/45 etc) will be higher in the smaller wheel, giving an equal circumference across all sizes. Smaller wheels generally give better comfort, steel wheels more so as they flex a bit.
Exactly, which makes me wonder why Volvo are talking about warranty issues.

Actually - just thinking about it - its probably nothing to do with size and everything to do with non-Volvo wheels. A problem gleefully ignored by every after-market wheel buyer.

Volvo local had already told me "No!". Waiting on Volvo central to confirm after a web chat with my new best friend Amelia:D

Now I have to find the right size rims:(

Ideas welcome.

Sponsored Links
Back