One for Westie (DNO/Supplier arguement)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

To cut a long story short, there is some damage to a CT metering RS20 fuse carrier, DNO are saying it's suppliers equipment, Supplier are saying it's DNO's.

I was under the impression anything after the cutout was the responsibility of the metering / supply company. I would call the DNO equipment the Delta and then everything in the grey cab supplier. If the fuse had popped with the damage I'm sure the supplier would have replaced it immediately as they wouldn't be metering L1.

Any advice would be appreciated, MOP's were also saying DNO need to attend to pull the fuse if they are going to repair which everyone knows isn't the case.

I have the emails to + from people in the suppliers support dept but am reluctant to post them publicly but some aspects may make more sense to someone who works in the field.

Real question is, whose gear is damaged?

Sponsored Links
Its been a while since I did CT metering for the DNO I work for, but I think the panel, the potential fuses and the CT terminal block are property of the DNO...ie If we (Scot Power) install an new Substation,Scot Power metering dept, which I think is called Dataserve these days, will turn up and install a panel with no meter fitted, just the potential fuses and the CT terminal block , and of course the cabling back to the point of supply.....It would then be upto a the third party meter operator to fit their meter....Westie will be able to give you the correct up to date answer however....id call the DNO and tell them its a Safety Hazzard and requires immediate attention...

SNAP http://www.electro-zone.co.uk/ct_meter_fuses.jpg

Hours of going back and forth between YEB/northern power/whoever they are this week and meter plus and it got sorted, took three visits.

1) for a DNO chap to come and tape it up (removing my cardboard that I'd taped over it with) while the metering company get round to fix it

2) For a metering chap to come out and decide it was a DNO issue is and to make some telephone calls and tell his managers he cant do it.

3) For another metering chap who is ex-YEB to up with a rubber curtain to allow him to work in close proximetry to live parts.

In case its not clear in the pic, the setup on this site was a single metal enclosure with hinged door with the cutout fuses inside and metering on the door, instead of the standard cutout with metering enclosure above

i work for wpd, i know on new supplys we install a metering cab with cutout fuses and ct's built in and the supplier fits the meter, who owns the cab not sure at a guess i would say dno, theres terminales at top of cab for electrician to connect there tails to before cutout fuses installed.

Sponsored Links
Bring back the days when the local "Leccy board" did it all.....

I deal with WPD on many new installs/alterations, and am of the opinion it belongs to the DNO, as they install it, less the meter on new services, and will take it with them on service upgrades/removals, once the meter has gone.

Infact, WPD install combined service heads/CT chambers these days with eveything in one chamber, ready for the meter.

For example.....

Notice the three screws for the meter, and cable slot.

1299226530.jpg

1299226532.jpg

Thanks guys, will get back onto the DNO later then, didn't realise the CT chamber was DNO equipment

If you end up talking to their normal customer lines, specify that it is industrial large power metering not domestic!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back