One for Westie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How close to over head cables can a building be?
We are thinking about this property, however we would need to put an extension on the gable end. As you can see there are overheads from the Tx which pass near by, and wondered what the regs are on this?
Also the stay wires from the Tx poles come into the garden which is bit of a pain, but obviously not much can be done about that!

Sponsored Links
The term used in ESQCR is "Reasonably Accessible" which varies on the situation.
In that location I would suggest between 2.5m and 3m. But that brings in all sorts of problems using aluminium ladders in the garden.

In theory the line should be covered by some written permission for it to be there which could give you room to negotiate it being diverted (perhaps to follow the garden boundry or underground) but that is something that may or may not be in place. Though if there isn't one that does put you in a stronger position. Be warned that such negotiations can take some time, if there is a wayleave you would need to give 6 months notice and the work must be done within 6 months of the notice completing, i.e. up to a year.

Other options would be the DNO changing to an insulated conductor type (ABC) or undergrounding it, but expensive for them

We are thinking about this property, however we would need to put an extension on the gable end. As you can see there are overheads from the Tx which pass near by, and wondered what the regs are on this?
Also the stay wires from the Tx poles come into the garden which is bit of a pain, but obviously not much can be done about that!
Contract the groundworks for the extension to Norcon :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If there is no written permission I'm guessing they would have to move it without it costing me anything/as much as if there was written permission in the deeds for it to be there?
Thanks for the info, interesting! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back