Overhead electric supply to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I was just wondering about the two overhead wires which appear to be the main electricity supply to our house, one is insulated and the other looks like bare twisted copper they are attached to the house via two insulators.

I want to paint the gable end and wonder if i can go near these wires or not?

Sponsored Links
I would guess the insulated one is live and neutral concentric, the bare one being earth, but i could be wrong.

You are wrong ;)

The double insulated will be live, and the bare one will be neutral.

The DNO are obliged to sleeve wires free if you request for the duration of works.

You may have had a letter or visit from the DNO recently?? They have to loose all bare overheads in the next few years, and are going around bit by bit doing this.

out of interest is it only low voltage bare overheads they have to lose? and is it only overheads that connect to houses (i often see streets where the main cables are bare but virtually every branch is insulated)?

also under what law do they have to lose them and does it affect private cables too?

Sponsored Links
I am not 100% sure, but believe it to be only LV, and including pole to pole etc. It maybe dependant on the type of area - IE housing, village centre etc - not too sure.

They are replacing the vertically stacked LV with 4 core trefoil cable.

EDF Energy's recent statement:

The low voltage distribution systems are designed as radial networks from individual distribution substations. At the design stage consideration is given to the ability of the network to supply identified future development. Radial systems that do not, and are not planned to, interconnect with adjacent substations are designed using tapered mains.
The existing LV systems comprise mainly underground cables in urban or dense development areas and overhead lines in rural areas. In some areas 3-phase supply is not available and, in many rural locations replacement of the HV/LV distribution transformer may be required to achieve 3 phase user connection.
There is a significant variety of both cable construction and sizes in use on the underground systems.
On existing LV overhead systems a variety of conductor sizes is used and supports are predominately wood pole. Whilst the majority of legacy overhead systems are bare conductor, EDF Energy Networks (SPN) plc is undertaking a programme of replacement of these with bundled aerial insulated conductor on a prioritised basis of condition monitoring and public safety risk.
The LV systems provide PME/PNB earthing facilities for user connection – subject to the appropriate bonding and terminal equipment being provided by the user.
In many rural areas there is no local LV distribution system and individual user properties may have dedicated HV/LV substations. Whilst this is predominately in areas where the HV system is overhead the 3.5kV and 2kV underground systems are also generally configured in this way with individual compact substations at each property. In particular where 2kV systems are in use three-phase connection may be impracticable as the cost of connection may include substantial HV works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back