Underground earth from supplier but overhead supply?

Probably are 3 rods because one wasn't enough. Look for 3 covers with possibly marked safety electrical connection do not remove.
Although there's a good chance someone laying a drive has already concerted over them. Your electrician will advise, but don't worry overly in the mean time. It's probably worse for you to worry than the small risk of something going wrong before then.

Sponsored Links
You need your spark to check the effectiveness of your rod (ooh err missus!).

In other words, check how well it connects to earth.

He should also clean up the top of the rod and fit some kind of cover to protect the connection.

The supplier would not give you an earth with overhead supply. TT is the only option.

It would appear yours is disconnected.

An electrician to investigate would be advisable.

Sorry but that's incorrect. Suppliers will regularly provide TN-C-S supplies on overhead distribution systems. A simple look around at nearby poles will indicate if it is a PME system.

TT is preferable though anyway IMO

Sponsored Links
He can request a TN-C-S supply if the network supports it. Usually anywhere between £0 and £150

I asked for a TT supply to be PME'd a good few years ago. The eng said he would have to do the whole terrace...

Suppliers will regularly provide TN-C-S supplies on overhead distribution systems.
There are several in this village, the house we built on 1981 had PME from a four wire overhead service. And at least twice we had a dodgy Neutral. A ground rod in the bank of the stream was added "just in case".

He can request a TN-C-S supply if the network supports it. Usually anywhere between £0 and £150
Are you saying the DNO will convert a two-wire overhead to TNC-S - merely at the request of a householder - even if it is not PME?

Ok. I stand corrected.

However, I am still not clear as to what "if the network was suitably constructed" (or "if the network supports it") means.

With those caveats, then, in the OPs case, they may not.

bernard - As there was a transitional period between the demise of the 14th & the introduction of the 15th that lasted until the beginning of 1985, did you wire up your 1981 new build to the 14th or 15th Ed?

EDIT: Forget that question. Committee decided that installations not be specified to the 15th Edition until the beginning of 1982.

Last edited:
The "conflict" with regulations that we had was that the meter installer refused to install a meter as we had two RCDs on the temporary install in an old shed. He said it was non compliant to have two RCDs and he could not connect us. The next day I explained to his boss that one RCD was for the building site supply and the other for the caravan we would be living in while we built.

I explained that in the event of an accident on site which also took out the site RCD we would need lights in the caravan for First Aid etc etc. He accepted this was sensible and instructed the meter installer to retrun the next day and install the meter.

Ok. I stand corrected.

However, I am still not clear as to what "if the network was suitably constructed" (or "if the network supports it") means.

With those caveats, then, in the OPs case, they may not.

Well, I have asked for many TT to TN-C-S converts over the years and some are installed without question (or further work) and others I got told that further work on the supply would be necessary and it would be uneconomic.

The example was the whole row of terraces that I was told would all have to be converted - the DNO could not just do one dwelling.

Well, I have asked for many TT to TN-C-S converts over the years and some are installed without question (or further work) and others I got told that further work on the supply would be necessary and it would be uneconomic.

The example was the whole row of terraces that I was told would all have to be converted - the DNO could not just do one dwelling.

Hi Securespark,

What advantages over TT does TN-C-S have?

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back