TT or TNS

Lectrician, when you said this was a common setup for farms in the 60s, it has just jogged my memory. I think I remember been told that the poles were installed in about 1952 but stood there for over 10 years with no wires on as the house did not have electricity installed in it until about 1963, the wires put on them when the house had electric lighting etc - I had also been told that at one point a lodger my grandmother had staying there tried to run an electric cooker from the lighting circuit!.

Also as I was saying above I know for sure that the house installation has never been connected to the earth on the armoured cable, I cant actually remember if it was connected before when we had three single core cables coming in the house so it may be as you say the earth on the pole is no longer reliable and perhaps this may have been confirmed when the armoured cable was installed.

Sponsored Links
I still think a call to the REC is in order - you have a TT, that could also have been (or still is) TN-S, that possibly could have been converted to TN-C-S in 1990.

A photo really would help, but as you say, not easy. As you say there are three cores to the cable drop from pole to house, I tend to lean to the thinking of it being a split concentric cable. (they dont us armoured).

As recs rarely use this type of cable, I think it is likely you have a TN-S service (although not used).

A call to the REC would sort this.

What type of site is it? Was it a farm once, or still is?

Yes, the house was a farm once and so I think were the other two houses that I mentioned earlier on supplied by the same transformer, my house is a fairly isolated cottage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back