One foul waste pipe into vented stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on what I propose to do. There is a vented stack on the corner of the house running to a kitchen waste pickup drain. The only foul waste that runs into it is our kitchen waste (sink/washing machine) pipe.

I was wondering if it's acceptable to just extend the kitchen waste pipe to the pickup drain and bypass the stack. The connection to the stack keeps failing, I think due to the dodgy angles the various contractors have used in the past and I'm just tired of getting it sorted. Any thoughts welcome. pictures attached.
Cheers

Attachments

• 20190422_141701.jpg
    20190422_141701.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 20190422_142041.jpg
    20190422_142041.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Is your kitchen in the attic space? is it the gray waste pipe to the right in the 2nd pic? Why have they fitted 2 45Degs? All they needed to do was lengthen the vertical by about 50mm and then a straight run into the stack, through a 40mm boss. I think all you need is a proper plumber to fix it correctly, as there's really no need to remove that stack and once the job's done right it should last as long as you need it to.
You wouldn't want a 40mm pipe dropping that height without venting, better running into the stack, otherwise you'd run the risk of syphoning in your kitchen traps.

Hi Madrab

Yes our kitchen is in the roof space, as is the whole flat (45° ceilings). The kitchen floor is on the same level as the gutter (yeah, does look weird having a waste pipe at that level) and yes it is the grey pipe that looks like a child has assembled it.

I take your point about syphoning, and I get that a short run to the stack would be better so thanks a lot for putting me straight. Again you’re right, we’ve had a succession of “get it going” plumbers but now I think I’ll either get a proper one or do it myself if I can get hold of a ladder.

All the best.
M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back