One new radiator is cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Maybe someone can shed some light on this problem. I had a new radiator (downstairs kitchen) fitted about four and a half years ago after a kitchen refurbishment. Its quite a large upright double. After the heating has been on for about 3 hours, only the top of the radiator is feeling barely lukewarm. It doesn`t have thermostatic control valves fitted just ordinary on/off valves which are both fully open. One valve gets quite hot when the heating is on. I`ve bled it and the water flows freely and clean. How can I get this rad to produce more heat ( at least the same as the other rads in the house ) I will just mention this - the central heating pipework to the rads is 15mm plastic/copper. When the kitchen work was done, the plumber used 10mm plastic feed from original pipes in the ceiling to the problem rad. Should this have been 15mm ? Is the 10mm pipe restricting the flow of hot water? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sponsored Links
First quick test, if you have TRVs on most other radiators, turn them all right down (while the heatings on)

You may be lucky, and just have a bit of an airlock which should push through and result in the radiator being nice and toasty.

1. If it doesn't heat up to what you expect, then you may as well stop here, as no amount of balancing is fixing it, you have a flow rate issue, very possibly blockages in the plastic microbore feeding it.

2. If it heats up and stays hot once the other TRVs are turned all back on, then it was an airlock, happy days.

3. If it heats up but slowly cools back down once the other TRVs are turned back on, then it may be a case of balancing the system as suggested, although if it worked before and nothings changed, then chances are its still something starting to block up the pipes to it, or potentially a failing boiler pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back