One of my tenants is annoying the other

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, apparently the tenant in the flat keeps closing his bedroom and kitchen door all the time. I suspected this was because he was keeping the heat in the room. I've got electric panel heaters in the flat which heat the room very very quickly but the kitchen external walls are not insulated so the heat is lost. He is annoying the tenants above by the constant door shutting, so is there anything that can help soften this? He is aware and is trying not to close shut the doors so loudly. They are fire doors with intumescant strip in the frame. It's just when the door hits the stop it's loud enough to be a problem. I was thinking something similar to what you see used on kitchen units, those plastic cup things : http://www.screwfix.com/p/door-cushion-domes-49-pack/18213#product_additional_details_container

Trouble is I'm trying to do this by proxy and this product seems unfit for larger doors, it may also prevent the door from closing/operating properly. Is there any other product people know of ? I was thinking some sort of spongy strip that can run along the entire length of the door stop but without making it difficult for the door to close.

Sponsored Links
Found the answer myself, actually had them sitting in the garage. Called a 'W' profile rubber seal manufactured by powerfix. Noise and insulation protection, will see how it works out.

Sponsored Links
You may be right , reading it again noticed the tenant above bit, but I would have thought even in flats it would require a self closer. You can get damped closers a bit like boot struts on cars, door closes slowly .

I think I went to excess putting in regulation fire doors with strips, as per EFL many don't even get that far. You are right they should have closers, generally tenants remove them the moment they move in.

If you actually own HMO properties & generally suffer the moaning & whinging that HMO tenants can generate . . . then having one tenant "ANNOYED" by another is a little bit of an anti-climax.

When you have tenants that have murdered other tenants, only then do you have a problem.

HMOs are different - multiple occupants share the general areas and cooking and washing facilities.

Blocks of flats or houses rented to families are not HMOs.

If you actually own HMO properties & generally suffer the moaning & whinging that HMO tenants can generate . . . then having one tenant "ANNOYED" by another is a little bit of an anti-climax.

When you have tenants that have murdered other tenants, only then do you have a problem.

I don't meet the criteria for an HMO. I do have a feeling though they will gradually lower the bar year on year to the point where two people sharing the same roof is a classified an HMO. Primarily it is revenue generation for the government, although I do agree with some kind of regulation just not excessive bureaucracy.

Often a sensible and intelligent landlord does not need encouragement under the threat of punitive fines/punishment, they do the right thing without force. The bad landlords ironically are the ones that do not partake in these schemes which the scheme is designed to catch out in the first place. Most peoples response to this is oh well they will get caught out eventually, sadly when you know the actual powers of the government when it comes to enforcement you understand why and how people get away with being bad landlords without repercussion. Often it is very difficult to prove a bad landlord other than them partaking in their own prosecution. In otherwords unless the bad landlord is compliant in the process and starts signing council papers left right and centre (mostly admission and omission of liability etc) without reading anything they will pretty much walk away scott free on every occasion as it's very difficult to prosecute them. Sad but true.

Sponsored Links
Back