One of these for one of those

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
some posts have been removed
Hi all, can this type of cold water storage tank be used to replace black type cold water storage tank in domestic loft. With the obvious mods of course. I ask because I need to upgrade my 50 gallon tank to 100 gallons and these are much easier to find used and can be had at bargain prices.
As usual, thanks in advance for your assistance.
s-l500.png

Sponsored Links
Wont' comply with a top like that I wouldn't think. One thing they specify as part of the regs is that needs a full length but well fitting lid for ease of access for servicing and cleaning.

In essence that's a 100gallon tank not a cistern, which it really needs to be to be suitable for a domestic installation. That and that'll have quite high sides if it's 100Gal and you'd probably struggle to get your arm in to the bottom of that to secure the 3/4" > 1"tappings needed in the base, unless you had really really long arms.

needs a full length but well fitting lid for ease of access for servicing and cleaning.

Got 6 massive coffin tanks to clean out at a care home... As required by recent survey they've had... Still working out proper and sufficient procedure on how to scrub the insides of a coffin tank :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi guy's, thanks for that. All shapes, sizes and lid positions but definitely not a full length lid, so that nips that one in the bud. It was worth a look because the prices of the dedicated loft storage tanks (especially the coffin type) get pretty expensive when you get to these capacity's. Rob, on your advice from the previous thread I have decided to up my water delivery system to a 1800mm x 450mm hot water cylinder supplied by a 100 gallon cold water storage tank in the loft. (double what I have now) Hopefully that will cater for the hot water demands.

Got 6 massive coffin tanks to clean out at a care home... As required by recent survey they've had... Still working out proper and sufficient procedure on how to scrub the insides of a coffin tank :LOL:

Sounds like full scuba to me. Good luck with that mate.

Got 6 massive coffin tanks to clean out at a care home
Who knows what you might find in a coffin tank, especially in a care home :whistle: I wouldn't be lying down in one of them :sneaky:

Good to hear they're getting cleaned though, so many just don't bother maintaining them these days. Worst one I had was years ago, an old fibre lined 150Gal in an old tenement in the west end of Glasgow. The 2 bottom flats didn't want to change over to the mains at that time so it was drain and clean, that was fun climbing into that in an un-floored attic.

I have decided to up my water delivery system to a 1800mm x 450mm hot water cylinder supplied by a 100 gallon cold water storage tank in the loft. (double what I have now) Hopefully that will cater for the hot water demands.
Much better IMO, you always want headroom built into any system, especially when it comes to hot water.

What I would say though is that before you head down the route of upping your system capacity, have you considered other options? I remember that you have a monster 3Bar ST but have you looked at your cold mains and what capacity that can deliver(dynamic pressure and flow)? Have you considered mains HW?

Who knows what you might find in a coffin tank, especially in a care home :whistle: I wouldn't be lying down in one of them :sneaky:

Good to hear they're getting cleaned though, so many just don't bother maintaining them these days. Worst one I had was years ago, an old fibre lined 150Gal in an old tenement in the west end of Glasgow. The 2 bottom flats didn't want to change over to the mains at that time so it was drain and clean, that was fun climbing into that in an un-floored attic.

That's the conundrum... They're coffin tanks so only have small hatches... Short of cutting the tops off... How does one get access in to scrub them? :confused::LOL:

Poke in an angled head on a jet washer? And turn it in all directions?

You get some bizarre questions asked on here...fit the proper cistern, it might be more expensive due to the fact it's compliant :rolleyes:

Even Water Towers have to be cleaned sometimes, went to a local one last year. 2 guys, a Supervisor and a pressure washer to do the cleaning, with a Water Networks guy worrying himself as this tower was offline, there were some other weak points locally and they could possibly struggle to meet demand if anything else went wrong.

Very minimalistic inside, had to smile at the 1/2" bibtap in the outlet pipework, for sampling and filling the kettle!
Manton internal.jpg

Much better IMO, you always want headroom built into any system, especially when it comes to hot water.

What I would say though is that before you head down the route of upping your system capacity, have you considered other options? I remember that you have a monster 3Bar ST but have you looked at your cold mains and what capacity that can deliver(dynamic pressure and flow)? Have you considered mains HW?

I haven't Rob, I'll google it. My mains water pressure is very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back