One pipe system question

G

Goldspoon

Changed a rad for a new one. Basically it's a one pipe system with the rad attached to the one pipe with two stems (one goes to one end of the rad and one goes to the other end). This means you can isolate the rad without stopping the flow to the next rad.

On all the rads, one of the stems goes into the rad at the TOP of the rad and the other at the bottom.

Why has it been done this way rather than both entering in the conventional manner - at the bottom of the rad?

I ask because I have been asked to change it so both pipes go in at the bottom and need to know if this is okay to change things...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. But can I change it and have both at the bottom of the rad?

You can but because it is a one pipe system it won't work properly if you do!

Sponsored Links
one pipe systems are a nightmare anyway; any changes can reduce the performance.
explain this to customer so if it does work less well, it is not your fault.
it is possible to connect it at the bottom and get it working fine; i have seen it.
bear also in mind that it is likely to be heavily soiled below the current high inlet.
if you must change it, take the rad outside and clean it.

TBOE used to be the right way to connect rads,but as time has moved on so have radiators.BOE is now the norm.output of rads used to be TBOE,but they changed that as well.
Bottom
opposite
End
Bottom
Opposite
End
you need the right trvs for a one pipe sys to work correctly,Danfoss would be my choice,A correctly sized and installed sys gives few if any probs. It is a misconception that they are troublesome most are incorrectly fitted :)

Herz high lift valves would be my choice.

One pipes have there place unfortunately domestic shouldnt have been one of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back