one rad not getting hot in places

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have 1 radiator that is not getting hot in certain places,is it black sludge as i have bleed radiator?i think i will remove radiator and try and flush with a garden hose,whats the best way to isolate the 1 rad just turn rad valves off?also when adding inhibitor to a combi boiler how do or where do you put the inhibitor,thanks anyone,jointy.

Sponsored Links
Try turning off all the other rads first to see if it gets hot, if it doesn't then turn off both valves making a note how many turns it takes to turn off the locksheild valve.Remove the radiator and flush it out with a garden hose.

Make sure you put down plenty of old sheets so you don't get the sludge on your floors.

Once you have flushed and re-fitted depending on rad you can remove the vent plug where you bleed it from and add the inhibitor through that either by a filling kit from screwfix or knock up something yourself with a funnel,hose,piece of copper pipe and an isolation valve ;)

armo74,how do i assemble this makeshift inhitor application kit,thanks jointy

Jointy, you can use anything that will get it in there, short piece of hose with a funnel is the easiest. Or as armo said you can screw a isolation valve into the rad and attach a piece of copper with a bend.

Sponsored Links
The one i made was with a piece of copper pipe and hose pipe both approximately 6" long and a small funnel with a spout slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the hose pipe.

Push the funnel into one end of the hose pipe and a piece of 15mm copper pipe into the other end of the hose pipe then attach a 15mm compression fitting onto the copper pipe. You will then be able to screw the fitting where the vent plug would usually go as it has the same thread.

As i said in the previous post though it does not work on all rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back