System corrosion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can radiators corrode with inhibitor in them ?

I have been working on a house today just adding a towel rad to the bathroom. So i had to drain down, but noticed 2 of the radiators have rust appearing at their bases. These rads are about 6 1/2 yrs old.

In this house the heating does not get used that often. So i wonder if this is the reason why the rads are starting to corrode.

I have taken them both off today and flushed them out with a hose and they had a fair bit of crude in them.

Tomorrow i am thinking of running a cleaner on the system and then adding an inhibitor. Could i do anything else ? There are 5 rads and a towel rail on the circuit.

Sponsored Links
They can rust from the moisture in the air or condensation in the bathroom when having a bath/shower etc, not just internally.

If it's a chrome towel rad, rub them with a metal polish or a green pad with washing up liquid on it. If it's really bad then they may need replaced.
If they're white enamel then they can be rubbed down, and repainted for a new lease of life

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back