One way 2 Gang switch operating 2 Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to wire 2 lights to a 2 gang 1 way light switch (I want both lights to turn on from one of the two switches on the 2 gang, the other switch will be for another light elsewhere). Currently both lights are working from a single light switch.

Do I take the cables going to each switch (from ceiling rose lights) and connect the permanent Live to the COM (and repaet for cable from 2nd light) and then connect the switched Live's to the corresponding L2's ?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Sarwar

Sponsored Links
Take the live and switch wire from each pendant to corresponding switch - mark the switch wire red at both ends!

From the FAQ

lamps.gif

Same for you except the switches are in the same location

Nice draawing maybe you should have drawn the 2nd gang :LOL:

fattony said:

i am happy you like the drawing, pity you didnt read where it came from :LOL:

Sponsored Links
So if I understand the diagram correctly I have to connect the permanent Lives to Com (for each side of the 2 gang) and connect the switched Live's (with red tape) to L1's of each gang. Is this right ??

Looking at your close up of the rose diagram I have wired it slightly differently, difference being that the Live going to 2nd rose (from 1st rose) doesn't come from the permanent Live but the switched Live of 1st Rose. I guess this works the same way as the switch has to be ON for both lights to light up.

fattony said:

the_jinj said:
....From the FAQ.....
Same for you except the switches are in the same location

Anyway....

You should change it to match the diagram with the feed at the light fitting and just dropping a live and switch to the switch(es) - your way will work but if the switch dies then so does the feed to your light. And it may not be whats expected if someone else works on the circuit in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back