Ongoing window/condensation problems....

Crank, I'm just trying to think of every possible reason that could be causing this issue.

No drying on the radiators. But some clothes are dried on a rack in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Guess what?? I'm thinking I may have found a possible source of condensation!

Last night I placed my hygrometer in the basement which is a pretty cold and damp area.

This morning I've checked and the hygrometer is showing 95% humidity (up from 70% in the living room).

Also just to add to the confusion, today there is absolutely no condensation on the windows....possibly due to the temperature outside being 13C???

Basements will have a higher humidity reading if they are not heated. Read up a bit about relative humidity. Essentially, the higher the air temperature the more water it can carry. If you warmed up the air in the basement without adding any more water you would see the humidity reading drop.

If you think the condensation might be from cold draughts from the window seals, try sealing up one of the windows with masking tape and see if the amount of condensation on that window reduced related to the others.

It might just be that you can see the condensation on the windows and not elsewhere in the house such as walls etc.

Thanks lower. When you say seal the window with masking tape, do you mean cover the rubber gasket with masking tape?

Also do I put the masking tape on the inside or outside or both?

Sponsored Links
Bedrooms always do this because the window is the coldest bit and you spend 8 hours breathing water into the room. Here's the solution:
CS1%20sponge3.jpg

If you think the condensation might be from cold draughts from the window seals

cold draughts from outside don't cause condensation. They are fresh air. They contain less water vapour than indoor air.

cold draughts from outside don't cause condensation. They are fresh air. They contain less water vapour than indoor air.
If a cold draught is causing the window glass to be cold, the water vapour from inside the house will condense on the cold glass.

Thanks lower. When you say seal the window with masking tape, do you mean cover the rubber gasket with masking tape?

Also do I put the masking tape on the inside or outside or both?
I mean put masking tape all around the joint between the window and the frame on the inside to stop the draught.

The only way you are going to find out is to remove a window.
It eliminated my problem.

I can see this from both points-of-view...on one hand fresh air has less water, but on the other hand if the same fresh air is leaking from the frame, hitting a pane of glass which is on the inside of the window, then surely the combination of warm humid air from the room and cooled down glass could cause condensation?

Anyway, there's no harm in trying out lower's idea of masking the frame/glass...lets see what happens.

catlad - That's the expensive route. I just want to try out other cheaper alternatives first.

Hello again guys. I've now had a window expert whom has checked the windows. He can't find any fault with them. He advised that since the humidity levels in the house were too high, I should try the following:

1. Open the windows full during daytime and in lock-mode at night - I have tried this for a week, but the humidity level is stuck at 70% or above.
2. Get a dehumidifier - Have bought one from amazon for it's been running for 3 days continuously on the highest settings - I got happy as it bought the humidity down to 62% within the first day and I emptied quite a few containers of water, but then it's been stuck on 62% for the last 2 days and hasn't reduced further. I have since last night set the dehumidifier permanently to 55%. However by this afternoon, the humidity has now quickly gone back up to >70% :(

I can't seem to figure out how to resolve this. o_O:unsure:

which room is the dehumidifier in?

Are the door and windows closed?

You already said you have a damp basement. What have you done to (1) prevent water vapour from the basement rising through the house and (2) reduce humidity in the basement?

Have you got a water meter?

The dehumidifier is in the hallway with all doors to each room open and the windows are closed.

Your right, I did mention the damp basement earlier, but was told it's normal to have high humidity due to the basement not being heated. As I've already suspected, I think of all this humidity in the house is due to the basement, but I don't know how to find the source of water. I've already had a camera down the gullies to check for cracks, cleaned the roof gutters and downpipes. There is a small damp patch on the basement ground and the water is clean, i.e. not sewage.

I haven't got a water meter.

do you have the facility to fit a powerful extractor fan in the basement?

As well as pulling the water vapour outside, it would create suction that prevents it from drifting up into the house.

Depending on local wind, it is sometimes possible to use a window or other opening on the lee side of the house to help draw air out, but you would still need an opening on the windward side and you would not get suction.

Find the incoming water pipe and follow its route. If it is lead or iron it is quite likely to be leaking. If you turn the stopcock in the front garden on and off, a person with sharp hearing may detect the hiss of a leak starting and stopping. You only notice it when it stops.

A while back an insurance company sent me to investigate a conservatory that was constantly dripping wet with condensation inside, water running down the glass, the hanging keys in the lock were rusty, water droplets hanging off the rafters. Took a couple of visits to get to the bottom of it and also the ph dropped a bombshell by saying he thought there was no damproof membrane under the suspended floor so up came the tiled floor and the chipboard and to my horror I found the installer had left the Yorkshire stone flags still in place and the grass all still there, no membrane.

So we took the joists out, removed the flags and grass, down went a blinding coat of sand and then a sheet of damproof membrane set into the mortar joints, joists back and chipboard down and condensation cured

Wonder if you have a similar issue, how you'd cure it I wouldn't like to say, maybe tanking the basement, that won't be cheap!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back