Online house building calculators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am at the early stages at working out how much it will cost me to build a house and have been trying the various house building calculators online such as Jewson/Home&Renovation etc.

I am likely to build a 3 bed, two storey semi with footprint no greater than 45m2 so 90m2 total area of standard fittings, brick built with no garage/loft conversion etc. I also plug in that I am in the South East (Hertfordshire) and want to use a main contractor.

The result from them is around £100k. Just in case these are rubbish I thought I'd better ask the knowledgeable people on here for their opinion on the results.

Is this a reasonable estimate for when I go looking for building quotes or what's your gut feeling? Seems low to me but I know nothing about building.

Thanks

Ps. I own the plot already

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A few hundred pounds spent on a local quantity surveyor now, will save you thousands later.

Material and labour costs can vary by thousands, so you need local and current knowledge not national generic estimates. And service connections can make a big difference to builds costs which needs to be factored in.

There is a thread here today where someone got a quote nearly double in price for a large extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back