Decided to self build. What next

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I have made the decision to self build so that we can get exactly what we need out of a house. We are in the process of selling our current house that I have renovated and plan on moving into rented accommodation. We have a modest pot of money and plan getting a self build mortgage for the purchase of the land and cover the build costs. I have contacted leanders who have stated that they will not give mortgage offers until we have realised the equity in our current house and have the money in the bank.

We have started looking for land and have seen a plot with detailed planning permission for a 4 bed property (.approx 267sq m). I am making the assumption the mortgage company will want specific details of build costs prior to agreeing and mortgage. I don't really know what steps to take next. Do I need to get a quantity surveyor to price up the build or should I just approach builders to give an estimate?

I have researched approx build cost and £1200 per sq m. Does this sound about the right ball park figure assuming I would project manage utilising a contractor who would employ subbies?

I used to be a civil & structural engineer over 10 years ago before have a career change so I know how a building goes together and the various construction phases but I just need help with taking the first steps.

Any recommendations for reading / research would be appreciated.

Would anyone recommend a visit to the National Self Build & Renovation Centre in Swindon (Buildstore.co.uk)?

Sponsored Links
If the plot has detailed consent, then consider if the design is actually what you want, as its no good self building to achieve a a house exactly what you want, and then being constrained by a certain design or layout etc

Find out from your particular lender exactly what criteria they will lend against and what details you need to provide. You may be able to just give them concise but detailed costs produced yourself, instead of requiring a full cost schedule from a professional

However, you do need to be aware, or to pay someone to make you aware of all the costs of the job - including all fees and getting services to site etc

Personally, I would not pay to visit that centre, which is in effect a glorified exhibition (which are normally free) where the stalls within it are just trying to sell you stuff. You can get equivalent info from the internet, and can still approach those stall holders for free outside of those four walls. Also try the site and forum at www.ebuild.co.uk

going to shows is a good idea but surely you can get some free tickets, all the builders merchants over here give out free tickets to the big show here to pretty much anyone who asks?

Sponsored Links
Stumbled accross this thread while looking up a solution for an entirely different subject. I completed a self build in 2009, and in response to your question about visiting the national self build & renovation centre as a starting point, that's exactly what I did in 2007 and would advise anyone selfbuilding to do so. I'm not sure if Woody has actually been there or has just been misinformed, but it is free, and is totally credible in terms of free and impartial advice on building. I had a lot of myths busted and picked up a lot of invaluable stuff from those guys. I didn't get my finance through buildstore so I can't comment on that but would say it was worth going if you are building yourself. The stands aren't actually manned so you can just do your research in your own time. They do have guys there if you want to discuss technical stuff, which I did loads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back