Only Getting Hot Tap Water When Radiators Are Switched On - SOLVED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just a little solved problem info in case anybody else has the same issues.

I could only run a hot bath if I switched on my radiators, the little flame you could see through the peep hole would only come on when I switched my settings to winter.

It turns out that the little fame doesn't actually ignite until you turn on the hot tap anyway, so looking for it when you turn your heating on to hot water only is a waste of time.

What happens is that when you turn on your hot tap, the flow of water through the pipe hits this small screw in sensor with spiral wings on it and that starts to spin, this in turn sends a signal to the boiler to tell it to warm up the water.

The spirals had snapped off on my sensor (wear and tear) and so the cold water was passing the sensor without spinning it and the boiler didn't know that I wanted hot water because it wasn't getting the signal.

The part was about £50 and the whole job cost £120 so not too much pain there.

I even reckon if I had a problem like this again in the future, replacing this part would be a doddle.

I've attached a pic of the offending part.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My word and you worked this out all by yourself wonderful most of the chaps on here know
this have done for years really are you trying to make them all out to be fools

Sponsored Links
My word and you worked this out all by yourself wonderful most of the chaps on here know
this have done for years really are you trying to make them all out to be fools
What are you on about?

This advice is for somebody like me who doesn't have a clue, not an experienced plumber.

Wow, to think you couldn't figure that out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back