Hot water only when tap fully open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello friends,

I am new here hoping someone can help me out.

I have got a Ideal Response 100 combi boiler. CH seems to work fine but HW only works when hot water tap is fully open.

If you open the tap only slightly or part way, the boiler doesn't seem to fire. The problem is the same with all taps and shower. Also there seems to be a slight gurgling noise when hot water tap is running (cold water one is smooth fast flow).

Can it be the DHW flow switch or sensor or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You must have one of the last few surviving Responses!

It does sound as if the flow switch is not operatig correctly. It should turn on at about 2.5 li/min!

Tony

Hi Tony - heard a lot about you... good to hear from you...

Yes seems like I have a surviving one here - atleast for now. It's over 10 years old but not used that heavily - the flat was empty for a while.

Thanks for the response. Does the flow switch need to be replaced or can be cleaned / fixed (as it does trigger on high flow)? Asking as the flow switch looks expensive (£65-70) and dont want to spend too much on a ageing boiler.

Also is it something easy enough to change?

Sponsored Links
You could try cleaning it but replacing would probably be a better option

Hi Tony - heard a lot about you... good to hear from you...

From Joel?

Or John Segal?

Or my friend who had a heart attack while driving and hit a tree? Who lived not far from Strangeways? I miss him! Used to stay with him and take him out for curries?

Come on Tony... heard good things about you from reseraching various other forums for boiler issues.. thats it.

Can you please answer my actual question above i.e. is it possible to clean/fix the flow switch or will it need replacement? Do you know of anywhere to get cheap part for this?

Thanks.

They are quite easy to remove to clean first. About the only part that is easy to remove on those.

The PRV is nearly 10% as difficult as the Worcs 25 si to remove.

If cleaning does not fix it then a new one. Or if you were a cheapskate then sometimes a generic one could be bought for about £25 and fitted in the cold feed pipe to the boiler.

Assuming the system will need to be drained before removing it and attemping to clean.

I'll be more than happy if I can get the part for around 25 quid and fix the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back