Only hot water with central heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I have a IDEAL MINI HE C24 combi boiler. I have an issue of only having hot water while the central heating is on or if it has very recently been on.

I bled one of the radiators yesterday and had to top up the pressure as it fell to zero. I thought the higher pressure would sort the issue out (I can’t remember what the pressure was before I bled the radiator).

When the hot tap is turned on the boiler fires up and appears to work fine but i get no hot water. If I then flick the Heating on the tap become hot. I would understand the hot taps never getting hot but as they get hot with the heating on I’m a bit confused.

Anyone shed some light on the situation?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I take it the boiler is actually igniting when the hot water is run and not just making a noise?
If it is igniting..with the heating cold,run a hot tap and see if the heating flow pipe becomes warm.
It should read diverter valve(stupid auto correct)

Sponsored Links
With the heating off and a hot tap on, the boiler ignites and I just get cold water.

The central heating flow and return pipes become hot, the DHW stays cold.

So to me this says that the diverter valve is not switching to hot water - as I understand there is just one circuit that switches between hot water and heating (with hot water taking priority over heating when both in use). But then how do I get hot water once I’ve turned the CH on? Surely I shouldn't be getting any hot water if it’s the valve not switching?

I expect that the diverter valve pin is not fully returning to the DHW position.

The bits inside can be replaced/cleaned. The whole unit does not need to be replaced.

Tony

I expect that the diverter valve pin is not fully returning to the DHW position.

The bits inside can be replaced/cleaned. The whole unit does not need to be replaced.

Tony

Thanks for the reply Tony, Im not sure how to do that and as funds are low ill just have to live with it for a while :p

Read all about that model on previous threads on this forum.

Then remove the diverter valve motor.

Next get something solid about 10 mm diameter and push the pin up and down about 10 times.

It should move about 9 mm and I suspect its not coming up properly.

Slight warning, the gland may already be leaking slightly. Moving the pin might make it leak more.

Test hot water with motor off.

But most likely moving it will mostly restore hot water performance to near normal. Regardless it does need to be repaired properly. In my local area I would charge about £106 including the new gland.

Tony

Hi Pilch

I have an Ideal evo HE with the same problem (I,ve just bumped my post to the top). I will be having a look at it at the weekend so will keep you informed of the outcome.

Squeaky

Hi Squeaky, i've just looked at your post, hope you find a solution. Ill keep an eye on it too to see how it develops.

Hi Pilch

I said I would get back to you. For some reason my boiler has sorted it's self out and has returned to normal. DHW now works without the heating being on. Hope you manage to get your boiler sorted too.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back