open fire...any help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got my chimney swept 3months ago. All was fire i bought a self lighting fire log and all smoke went up the chimney. I then added wood it was fine.

recently i bought some coal to test it out before winter.
i lit some wood and paper before the coal but there was smoke pouring into the house. Was it because i didnt light the fire fast enough so there was no hot air to draw up the chimney?
I then did a smoke test and the smoke does go up the chimney but occasionally it will be blown back down??

anyhelp with this ?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Either the chimney is blocked again, or you may live in an area thats prone to down draught......for which several chimney cowls are available.
John :)

I have a cowl on it already all be it a very old one.
So if I do the test with the smoke should it draw it up all the time or would more lb heat make it draw better and eliminate down draft?

I have noticed that the cowl changed position in the heavy wind. It's now facing the house where as before it was facing away from the house.

Sponsored Links
I have had problems with the smoke not going up, I always put it down to cold chimney. When I have that problem, I just light newspaper it only needs 2 or 3 sheets, not red tops. :p

Some cowls spin around, creating an air vortex which theoretically overcomes the down draught situation, others rotate away from the wind direction so air isn't forced down the flue......and others have their own specifications.
Unfortunately its really a case of trial and error to see what suits your situation but do look to see what other houses are using.
For sure, a warm chimney will behave much better than a cold, maybe damp one.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back