open fires

ok, will it produce more heat?

I mean, if i burn 3 logs on a grate, will i get more or less if i burnt them in a stove

Sponsored Links
Don't really know, never had a stove, only an open fire.
I think people say stoves give out more heat but may mean burning more fuel faster? I'm sure someone will be along to say soon...

If using a grate try to mix coal and logs. Coal stays hotter for longer.

The efficiency of an open fire can be as low as 5%. A wood burners is a lot higher. Also you lose heat up the open flue when the fire is off and the C/H is on.

Trawling the memory banks for school boy physics lessons ... radiant heat from the mass of the cast iron stove will be much greater than that given out by a few naked flames in an open fire. This answer has been dumbed-down from GCE 'O' level standard to one easily understood by the GCSE generation :LOL:

Sponsored Links
ok Thanks.

I know I need to get a sweep in.

But wanna try get enough info from you guys before i go ahead.

Im looking at getting something like this : -

What spaceing behind/around etc do i need?

Do i need to protect the walls around it?

I currently only painted/plastered.

Thanks James

I will quote you the requirements from my stove manual.

1. There should not be any combustible material with 900mm from any stove surface
2.The stove should sit on a non combustible hearth of at least 125mm thickness
3.There should be a non combustible hearth of at least 300mm in front of the stove
4.There should be an air gap of at least 150mm on both sides of the stove
5. The stove should sit level

This may also be of interest - //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1133177#1133177

There are a couple of things that I am not keen on with that stove. Firstly the flue is only 4 inch, which if you intend to burn some wood isn't ideal, however you could buy an adapter to take it up to 5 or 6 inches.
Secondly the Ad doesn't state what it is made out of, which usually means it is not cast iron, but steel. I am not saying that cast iron is the only way to go, but take a look at all the high end stoves, they are all cast. Also, at just 47kg, I can't see it being cast iron. Personally I think it looks a little over priced.

Have you found any reviews on it ?

didnt see the flue size.

Something more to look at.

I haven't, but didnt think about that, will try and look now.

Is there any downside to steel? Or is it just down to heat output?

As I understand it cast lasts longer and radiates more heat. Although Aarrow offer a lifetime guarantee on the body, so that should be OK.

As I understand it , there cannot be any combustible material within 900mm of the stove. I would imagine that painted plaster would discolour immediatly or possibly scorch. I bought some fireboard to make a secondary chimney seal and that works very well. I tested it first by chopping a bit off and took my blowtorch to it for about 5 mins . Eventually it glowed red but didnt ignite which was reassuring :)

ok.

900mm? Ill assume thats not each side, cause surely that would be silly?

I have a found one on ebay, and I just wondered if I posted link would you confirm if it was the place you got yours?

900mm? Ill assume thats not each side, cause surely that would be silly?

Thats 900mm for combustible material. i.e. wood floor, wallpaper etc etc. My stove has abot 150 mm rear and sides and about 400 mm above the stove.

I have a found one on ebay, and I just wondered if I posted link would you confirm if it was the place you got yours?

Sure.

sorry, read it wrong.

Ebay item 230319243962

Hope link works.

Though I think this one is to big for my fire place. I have H - 680 mm W- 520 mm D - 390

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back