open fires

I think I would be wary of that as it doesn't have a brand. It also seems too cheap. I would definitely want to read a couple of reviews from some current owners if I was going to buy that to be honest. As for size, just add 150mm to your side and rear aperture measurements to see if you have the required clearance.

Googling JA013 doesn't shed any light either :confused:

Sponsored Links
ok.

well i think alot more research is needed.

is there something that I can use to block the extra hole so that when i have my central heating going it doesn't disappear up the chimney

Go on ebay and search for 'register plate' .

I also fitted an additional board just inside the breast made out of fireboard as mentioned earlier.

yeah that'll work.

I found another ebay shop that had the same stove I showed before.

Looks like its called a whitton.

Going to look up reviews

Sponsored Links
If i need 150mm each side of the stove, I can only have a stove that is 220mm wide. I cant find one that small.

You may well find that the aperture was narrowed using an extra row of bricks. The only way to find out is to strip off the plaster, and hopefully reveal a different style of bricks whic will be a bit of a giveaway.

funny thing, i just knocked a layer of plaster off. Its about 20mm thick.

Would I be right in assuming that the bricks would be red? Because if so, the bricks i revealed i think are grey

No. The point I was making was, that if your fireplace was predominantly made up of one colour/type of brick and the inner fireplace side were made of another type/colour then in all likelyhood the inner bricks were added at a later date and are not structural so could be removed. The only way to find this out for sure is to strip a lot more plaster to see what lurks beneath.

ok. well i have knocked a bit more off, i have red bricks that look burnt. Don't suppose you'd know how to tell id they are structural or not.

Ok, ive managed to knock of some plaster, revealed some bricks, also took a brick out, would anyone be able to tell if it ok to take some more out to get the width i need?

Thanks

Why have you removed bricks? They look like the same bricks as the outer bricks which suggests that they were not added at a later date to reduce the opening. In which case I wouldn't remove anymore until you have stripped back enough plaster to see what the lintel is sitting on etc. I have never removed/replaced a lintel and suggest you wait for one of the forum builders to advise you before you go any further.

You are cutting out the brickwork from the 9 inch jambs which are the main supporting part of the chimney breast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back