Open floor, best option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've posted before but have changed tac now so felt a new post would be better.

I've ripped up all the floor so left with open joists. Would you stick 18mm WBP ply down and then tile over the top of this? Or can you just go with cement board straight on the joists? I get the feeling you've got to have something underneath the cement board for the floor?

On the walls, instead of messing with the plasterboard (needed loads of holes for running electrics and pipework anyway), i've ripped it off and I am going to put nomoreply on there. I'm going to have 300x600 8mm tiles on there. Is 6mm nomoreply screwed onto the frame of the wall plenty in that regard? Would you also use 6mm nomoreply if its going on top of the ply.

I guess what i'm after is, if you were faced with 300x600mm tiles (for wall and floor) and you had just bare walls/joists to work with. How would you approach it? I'm short on cash so although I can afford to do a decent job of it once, I can't do it twice!

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Or another approach I had. Put tile lath between the joists and then 18mm wbp ply on top. So it’d be level with the top of the joist. Then 6mm backer board on top of that? Or would that be at risk of moving too much?

Last edited:
I'd put a wooden floor down first then 6mm nmp screwed and glued as per manufacturer instructions.

6mm nmp is not suitable for walls, they won't guarantee it at all and only recommend 12mm for walls. It gets very expensive to do walls in 12mm. You could plasterboard it and then tank the main water areas. Will be a lot cheaper.

I'd put a wooden floor down first then 6mm nmp screwed and glued as per manufacturer instructions.

6mm nmp is not suitable for walls, they won't guarantee it at all and only recommend 12mm for walls. It gets very expensive to do walls in 12mm. You could plasterboard it and then tank the main water areas. Will be a lot cheaper.
Thanks. What wood would you put down?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back