Open reach responsibly vs my responsibility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Phone went off last week. BT out today, wire had come loose in master box - all fixed.

All fine. However BT engineer asked where does main line come in? I didn't know, he didn't know. We have an underground supply, a BT box at the end of the drive and then a master socket at the far end of the hallway, wiring popping out from behind the skirting. I assume it must run under the floorboards.

Now in a month or so we are having oak flooring put in.

What would happen in future should we get a fault with the line on BTs side of the equipment (before the main box) yet presumably running under my floorboards and new wood floor?

Would they need to pull the floor up, or would they just route another cable (if so, at who's cost?).

Main reason for asking is I wonder if should I lift some boards before the new floor goes down and make the wire "above ground? Also, am I allowed to do that? If not would BT open reach do that for free? I'm somewhat concerned the previous owner routed cables differently (it's sited behind skirting for the bit I can see) - does it remain true that a wiring fault before the master socket is BTs issue even if this is in my house?

Would be keen to make it better/idiot proof before my expensive floor goes down....

All help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You should have an access point in the floor to get to the cable.

I don't lay floors but I understand that this problem arises regular enough and the installer should be able to accomodate the request for an access point without your floor being spoiled.

if the cable goes faulty they would expect you to expose the cable (lift the floor) and call them back. if you can't (or refuse to) they will run a new cable at your cost. usually requires civils works and a survey, so can run into several thousand, and it takes ages to get done meaning you have no service for a while.

if you can reroute it yourself I would do so, failing that, give access via a hatch.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back