Open soil vent pipe in the attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed the open pipe when I was in the attic this past week. Its connected to the en-suite's toilet.

Lying next to it on the insulation is an 'Air Admittance Valve' what I presume should be fitted to the top of the pipe?

The house was built in 2003.

Opinions welcome.

full

Sponsored Links
I don't know the history of the house, I bought it last year.

What would be the symptoms if the valve were not working properly?
I'm presuming smells caused by lack of venting perhaps?

Usually if an AAV is removed is due to positive pressure in the soil system, that can be due to lack of alternative atmospheric venting in the drain/soil system or a restriction/bad design in the soil system downstream somewhere.

Toilets or basin/sink slow draining would be the usual symptom.

Sponsored Links
As above. Usual issue is a blockage downstream and poor draining of appliances/WC backing up and subsiding slowly when flushed. An AAV seals the pipe preventing positive pressure escaping, have to wonder if some amateur has chopped the AAV off (badly) to relieve the symptoms rather than cure the problem.

It needs replacing, to prevent your loft filling with steam and odour. Advise using a Push Fit type so it can be removed easily if need be to test things out. You may find once you have replaced the AAV, problems will manifest once again, in which case further investigation of the drainage system will be needed.

People do this a lot because they think it's an easier and cheaper alternative way of putting an svp out through the roof.

But they don't understand the principles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back