Open vent into cold storage tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a call from a client who said somebody had been round to service the boiler (but couldnt do a landlords certificate :?: ) and said that the open vent from the boiler was going into the cold water storage tank

1) Does this come under the gas side of things on a landlords certficate? I.E Could I shut the boiler down because of it?

2) I havent serviced a boiler with a header tank yet but if I did, should I be checking for that also (vent going into header tank and not cold water storage tank). Ive yet to see this in my job

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1.My interpretation is that you have a duty of care to point out the problem and it is likely to be a water regs issue. Contamination waste or misuse of water etc. I wouldn't slap and cap a boiler for it maybe others would.
I don't see any reason why a LGSC can't be issued even if every appliance were ID'd and capped off. It is merely a snapshot in time of the state of the gas system in general and gas safety issues. It is not an MOT certificate!

2. Not something to check for I would say but you would have a duty of care to inform the responsible person of the situation assuming you noticed it. If you have the corgi handbook handy I'm sure it tells you in there what should be checked for an LGSC. Also on the back of some of the LGSC forms there is a checklist.

The gas saftey record is only concerned with the gas saftey side of things, not the water. Yes its wrong and contravines water regs but it does not contravine gas regs nor does it hinder the boiler dangerous.

As Slug says the landlord cert is only a snapshot in time of when your there. if it fails then issue the cert to say it has failed and leave the installtion safe. It is then up to the Landlord, tennent or agent to arrange repairs/alterations and get a new landlord check organsied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back