Open Vent Boiler with no header

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a boiler and unvented cylinder installed, a completely fresh install with no pre-existing pipe work other than the cold main.

We will be running underfloor heating throughout the whole house soon, for now there is a flow and return in place coming from the boiler to the manifold locations and the cylinder coil has also been connected. The cylinder has an expansion tank connected.

I am concerned as the plumber has used an Open Vent boiler (Valiant Eco Tec Plus) and there is no header/storage tank in the house. The boiler has no pressure gauge but he has installed a filling loop and a blow off valve.

I don't understand how using an open vent can be ok in this scenario with no header or expansion vessel on the heating side.

My understanding is a system boiler should have been used? Is there a way to use an open vent without a header tank?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
get him back and quiz him , how has he tested it if no pump

It's still to be commissioned but work is complete, I'm hoping I'm totally wrong tbh and didn't want to be a awkward with him if he hasn't done anything wrong but i cant see how the hot water is going to flow to the cylinder coil...

Sponsored Links
I think you need to be sure whether you have an open vent set up or whether you have a system boiler. It can't be an open vent without a Feed and Expansion cistern.

Do you know the model number?

Is it a 4xx ( regular open vent) or a 6xx (system sealed) or an 8/9xx (combi boiler)

The model is : vu306/6-5 ovz (h-gb) its a 430.

100% no feed and expansion cistern, cold main is connected directly via filling loop.

so definitely not an open vent "setup" but I guess the question is can the boiler still be used as a sealed system and does it need a pump on the hot water side.

If it is that boiler then you would be correct, it is designed for an open vent system. It is classed as a regular boiler and lots of regular boilers can be used in a sealed system, will this model, probably, but you would need to check with Vaillant whether they support it like that or not. If not then it wouldn't be covered by their warranty.

I would recommend a quick call to Vaillant and they will confirm, if they won't support it as a sealed system then as suggested the installer needs to be quizzed about all of that ASAP. Yes it will need a pump somewhere out on the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back